Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 4:46:58 PM EST
I'm researching uppers for a new build. The goal is a 16" lightweight, so I'm looking for a light barrel. I'm confused about the difference in barrel profiles. Could someone help with the difference between the M4 profile and other lightweight profiles? Someone mentioned in another thread that the Bushmaster "superlight" barrels are simply the old A1 profiles. What about the J&T lightweight barrels? Are there any other considerations to make when getting a lightweight barrel?

Stocks: Haven't decided on a collapsible stock or an Ace stock yet. Any differences other than the size of the buffer tube? I'm assuming either will fit any repudible lower (building on a RRA).

Lower parts: Any recommendations on lower parts kits? Mainly looking for a good, crisp trigger, but understand this may vary from kit to kit and require some work or a more expensive trigger for the exact feel I want.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:57:30 PM EST
If I were to build a superlight, I would first search for a Colt 1/7 pencil profile barrel, followed by the Bushy 1/9 Superlight. I wouldn't use a barrel from J&T, although I'm sure many here do without problems.

I'd start with the standard collapsable stocks and stay away from the Ace stocks, except maybe the M4 SOCOM.

Get the best LPK you can afford. RRA seem to be good. Colt and the like are better, but much more expensive.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:11:01 PM EST
Barrel - get the Bushmaster superlight preban config. You can try to find a 16" Colt 1/7 (more desireable), but damn those are hard to find in good shape for a decent price. The other off-brands are .750 barrels turned down, and .750 under the FSB, Bushy uses the correct A1 profile (smaller FSB), as does Colt. It really wont make a big hill o'beans.... but Bushy makes a good quality chrome lined barrel, and that is the heart of any weapon.

Stock - any stock will fit any standard lower. Just pick which one you want, and install.

LPK - dont think you are going to get a good trigger. *plan* to get a crappy one. Stock AR triggers are not target shooters... some are better than others, and there is NO BRAND which will guarantee a clean one. It just doesnt happen.... most buy from the same manufacturers anyway. If you want a better trigger, upgrade it to the RRA 2stage, or better. That being said, I typically buy RRA parts kits.... cause thats what my favorite dealer stocks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:35:32 PM EST
Thanks for the quick replies!

Originally Posted By mongo001:
I'd start with the standard collapsable stocks and stay away from the Ace stocks, except maybe the M4 SOCOM.

Have you had a bad experience with the Ace stocks? I've seen one, but never shot with one.

Originally Posted By FALARAK:
LPK - dont think you are going to get a good trigger. *plan* to get a crappy one. Stock AR triggers are not target shooters... some are better than others, and there is NO BRAND which will guarantee a clean one.

Yah, kinda figured that. I shot a rifle a few weeks ago with a sweet crisp trigger...need to see what kind it was (though it was a bit too light/short travel for my liking). My Bushy XM15 has probably the standard stock feel, which is kinda grainy and mushy. I'll go with a good LPK for now and change the trigger later if its that bad.
Top Top