Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2002 8:12:20 PM EDT
i bought a chrome lined DPMS 14.5 M4 barrel from CMMG  (great service by the way) and i noticed a pronouned bur in the barrel. after some judicious brushing i have removed most but not all of it. it appears to be from the drilling of the gas-port.  i have heard of this before not i havent encountered it. is it ok to shoot, or should i scrub more or what????
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the act of drilling a gas port sometime leaves a little sharp edges.  I wouldn't worry about it.  Had the same thing in my OLY SUM barrel, shot 5 rounds through and it was nicely "de-burred".
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry too much about the burr.
If the barrel had been factory installed on a gun, it would have been test fires and cleaned, and you probably would never have noticed.
That being said, don't be too surprised down the line if an armorer ever drops a milspec "barrel straightnees gauge" down you bore, and it hangs up in the area of the gas port. Your barrel is not bent, but over time a little deposit of copper jacket material may build up at the burr and make the "straightness" gauge stick.
Unfortunately most armorers don't know this and many otherwise serviceable barrels are then replaced unneccessarilly.
In fact, if we had known this in 1980-1983, we would not have increased the barrel diameter in that area on the M16A2.
ColdBlue sends...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top