Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2003 4:46:59 PM EDT
I just had a new M4 barrel, free float tube and mock flash hider installed, and since my first AR was used, I forgot to ask this.
What is the way to break in a new barrel?

Thanks Much
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the board first and foremost.

If chromelined or not, either way clean first before firing it any.

After that if chromelined, blast away for appx 200 rounds, then clean.

If not chromelined, I clean after each shot for the first 10. After that every 5 if a match barrel until about 30. Then after every 20(if match quality bbl.).

Right or wrong, that's what I would do. IMO.

More opinions and advise to follow, I'm sure.

MM419

Danny
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is a chrome lined barrel, there is no need for break in.
I would clean it before I shot it, then treat it like any other rifle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no need to break in even a match grade barrel.  This is a myth to get you to shove things in there and wear your barrel out.  Just clean it before you fire it and clean it when you get home.  End of story.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a lot of differing opinions on both the value and the best methods of barrel break-in.

Note that failing to break-in a barrel will NOT in any way damage a barrel.  Further, assuming you clean it conscientiously, the barrel essentially goes through the break-in process over time anyway.

Olympic Arms (www.olyarms.com) has their ideas here: [url]www.olyarms.com/bblbreakin.html[/url]

Armalite has a tech note on barrel break-in; however, it applies to match barrels and, apparently, to their AR-10:  [url]www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote28.htm[/url]

While no doubt referring only to match barrels, you might also want to check out Lilja Barrels’ view at [url]www.riflebarrels.com/support/centerfire_maintenance.htm[/url]

And, of course, some folks just think it’s witchcraft intended solely to wear out your barrel!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Those and some others I have read are some real ball busting break in proceedures. It really takes allot of the fun out of a new rifle if you shoot 1 round then clean it for 10 rounds then shoot 2 rounds and clean it for the next 20 rounds and so on. It wears me out just thinking about it. With so many manufacturers reccommending breaking in the rifle I'm sure it makes good sence to do it. I would not go as far as they say to do though. Once the fouling diminishes I think it would be ok to increase the rounds fired before the next cleaning. Lets say you shoot 1 round and clean and do this three times and you notice very little fouling after the third shot, then go to 2 or 3 rounds a few times. If the fouling is minimal go up to 5 for a couple of cleanings then 10 then 20. I think the reccommeded way is way over kill on some of these sites.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top