Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2006 10:42:59 AM EDT
I've recently gotten interested in the black riffle and want to try a build.  I think that for my first build, buying a kit would be the best way to get myself aquainted with all of the parts.  I've seen some talk on here about del-ton riffle kits and I just wanted to get your opinions on the quality of the kit and if you all have any suggestions for a first time builder.

Thanks a lot
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've read, Del-Ton is supposed to make really nice kits, and their customer service is supposed to be excellent. I've also read alot of good things about J & T too, as their customer service is supposed to be top notch also. The only negitive thing I've heard is that J & T has cheap lower parts, but alot of people order their stuff, probably just an isolated incident. Doesn't J & T use Shaw barrels, and Del-Ton use Wilson Arms(same barrel RRA uses?)? I think Del-Ton is a little cheaper also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
both are very good.    buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
How about the lower parts kit that comes with the del-ton kit?  I've read that some people on here reccomend buying a lower parts kit as opposed to using the one that comes with the riffle kit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Just built my AR with a Del-Ton kit on top of a Stag stripped lower.

I loved it because I bought all the "aftermarket" parts (DPMS barrel, YHM handguards, YHM flash hider, Tango Down pistol grip, ARMS BUIS, etc.) already installed and ready to go. In the long run, I ended up saving a few bucks, as well.

I don't know the quality difference betwen LPK's, but mine installed just fine.

Quality was great, customer service top-notch, and fast shipping. Received it within a week of ordering it. Plus, they test out the upper before shipping out.

Next time, I'll probably build the upper myself, but for my first kit (since I'm a newbie) it was a great choice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The Del-Ton kits are very nice and a good deal. It is much cheaper to get the whole kit, but if you want to splurge, get a RRA or Stag lpk. I think they are nicer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I love Del-Ton kits. I have two of them, an M4A3 16" and a 20" A3.

My 16" upper arrived with the A2 FH canted to the right quite a bit, and the FSB canted to the right as well. I noticed recently that my optics would slide around on the A3 upper rail. After shooting the upper for 6mos, I sent it back to Del-Ton and within a week had a new upper with all the issues fixed.

They have incredible customer service and if I ever build another AR, it will be a Del-Ton kit.

The 20" appears to have no problems so far.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Del-Ton kits are good quality kits, I’ve dealt with them numerous times. Have never had any problems with their LPK’s either, they rank with the best.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Another thumbs up for delton.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like from what I  have read on this post and other posts as well, del-ton is a good company to go with.  I think I am going to go with the A2 with a flat top.  Anyone have suggestions about whether to go with a rail for a scope or scope rings?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I am going to go with the del-ton 20" riffle.  I ordered my lower, a Stag, and a few mags last night.  I have to decide now whether to get the flat top or the carry handle upper and also choose what stock I want.  I read the thread on here about a colapsable stock on a 20" looking funny, but I think the colapsable will help with the overall use that I want to get out of the riffle.  If anyone one has suggestions on flat top/carry handle or what type of stock, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#11]
What lower parts are they using?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What lower parts are they using?

You know, I don't know what lower parts kit they use.  Their site does not specify what they use, or what brands they even offer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I wanted to throw this out there also to see if anyone can tell me about this.  I've seen guns built on a .223 or 5.56 NATO round and have heard talk that if you build or buy a gun .233 that you can't shoot the NATO round, but if you build/buy a gun for 5.56 you can shoot either or.  Is there any truth to that?  To me it doesn't make sense.

THanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
They are very good to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What do you mean they are both good to deal with?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you mean they are both good to deal with?

He means Del and Ton!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#17]
gotcha, but who is who?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I just got my delton kit, amazing quality and great cust service. Thumbs up here
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#19]

I wanted to throw this out there also to see if anyone can tell me about this. I've seen guns built on a .223 or 5.56 NATO round and have heard talk that if you build or buy a gun .233 that you can't shoot the NATO round, but if you build/buy a gun for 5.56 you can shoot either or. Is there any truth to that? To me it doesn't make sense.

THanks

It is dangerous to shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber but not the other way around. Check www.ammo-oracle.com for all the information you could every want on .223 / 5.56
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#20]
does anyone know which caliber chamber del-ton uses?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty sure Del-Ton is chambered for the 5.56 NATO round.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#22]
They use DPMS LPK's, Wilson Arms barrels, RRA m4 stocks and CMT uppers and BCG's.  I built mine on a delton kit and it has been awesome.  The m4 handguards have double heat shields and are nice too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I went ahead and purchased my kit today.  I went with the del-ton.  20" with flat top on a stag lower.  Should have everything in hopefully a week or so.  I'm looking forward to putting it all together.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I got my del-ton 20" kit put together about a week ago and had the chance to take it out to the range.  It was fun shootin it.  I'll get some pictures up soon.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I've used DPMS, J&T and Del-ton with no complaints.  A little birdie once told me the del-ton kits are the same as DPMS.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How about the lower parts kit that comes with the del-ton kit?  I've read that some people on here reccomend buying a lower parts kit as opposed to using the one that comes with the riffle kit.

I had problems fitting a couple of pins in a Stag lower with Del-Ton's lower parts kit.  I'm not saying anything bad about Del-Ton (or Stag), I'm just saying that the two were not compatible in my experience.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had problems fitting a couple of pins in a Stag lower with Del-Ton's lower parts kit.  I'm not saying anything bad about Del-Ton (or Stag), I'm just saying that the two were not compatible in my experience.

all of my pins seemed to fit just fine.  Maybe you had a little bur somewhere?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top