Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2003 2:41:51 PM EDT
I asked a guy the other day shooting Wolf what kind of experience he had with the stuff and he said that he was shooting some "new" ammo from Wolf.  Said that the new stuff is boxer primed and sealed with moly as opposed to the old stuff which was berdan primed and sealed with wax?  Said that the wax seal on the berdan primed stuff is what gums up the rifle and gives Wolf a bad name.  He said that the new stuff is as good as any plinking ammo.  Any comments?  Kind of confused.

Last time I checked this thread there were 78 views with no replies.  Is this a dumb question or something?  The price is so good, I would like to know if this "new" ammo is indeed better.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
In looking through my favorite suppliers I don't see any listing "new" Wolf .223.  It may take a while for it to get out until the current suppies are depleted.  With prices of mil-surp ammo creeping up, 'good' Wolf ammo would probably sell very well.  Although I will say my HDR-15 has never tasted Wolf. [:)]

MM
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't heard of the "new" wolf. I was having problems with wolf ammo myself.I took my Bushmaster XM15(AR15), to my favorite gun shop, they opened the body of the gun and sprayed it with B(some number,can't remember), gun cleaner. The cleaner looked like a thicker WD40. I fired through a 10rd clip pretty much as fast as i could without any problems.  I didn't have time for more rounds but before when i would fire wolf, it would jam every couple shots. The reason, apparently, is that the guns have a lot of grease in them from the factory.
My .02cents
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
OK...I'll bite...

The 55 gr. HP from Wolf is boxer primed. For what particular reason, I don't know. The biggest advantage to 'boxer' priming from a consumer standpoint is reloadability. (I doubt that anyone would seriously consider reloading steel cased ammo.)
As far as the old sealant goes, I'm not sure the term "wax" is accurate. Nonetheless, alot of the issues some shooters claimed to have had with old production Wolf was attributed to the 'Red Sealant' previously used in manufacture. I really don't know what (if anything) they are using now.
This being said, I have run Wolf (both old and new production) in two different rifles without issue . Buy a few of boxes to see how your rifle digests it. If it runs well and suits your plinking needs, you've got your answer.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:24:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The 55 gr. HP from Wolf is boxer primed.
View Quote

Is this boxer primed stuff brass case or steel case?  Can't reload steel cases.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I haven't heard of the "new" wolf. I was having problems with wolf ammo myself.I took my Bushmaster XM15(AR15), to my favorite gun shop, they opened the body of the gun and sprayed it with B(some number,can't remember), gun cleaner. The cleaner looked like a thicker WD40. I fired through a 10rd clip pretty much as fast as i could without any problems.  I didn't have time for more rounds but before when i would fire wolf, it would jam every couple shots. The reason, apparently, is that the guns have a lot of grease in them from the factory.
My .02cents
View Quote

What in the heck does that mean? I re-read it several times and still can't make sense of it. Were you having problems with Wolf but not with other ammo? What prompted you to take the Bushy to the gun shop? What is "opening up the rifle" mean? What was the B??? cleaner supposed to alleviate? It didn't jam with a 10 round "clip" using what kind of ammo?

This whole "new" Wolf ammo sounds like some kind of uneducated shooter trying to sound important. Why would you use moly to seal anything ? Molybdenum Disulfide is an excellent lubricant, but using it to SEAL stuff? Sounds like BS to me....
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, i was in a bit of a hurry at the time and i had a feeling i was going to get this.    

In short, i was shooting Wolf ammo and it was jamming every couple rounds. The gun shop sprayed out the "lower reciever" with a gun cleaner. I fired wolf ammo through it again with no problems. Therefore, the gun cleaner did the job and i now use wolf for "plinking."

Long Story--The gun had never been fired. I shot just a couple rounds of wolf ammo with every couple shots jamming. I took it to the gun shop because i had to pick stuff up there anyways. When i said "opened up the rifle" i think it's called the lower reciever that "opens" when you push  the pin(right) that is below the foward assist. I didn't want to throw terms around that i wasn't sure of but i guess i should have just kept my mouth shout completely. The B# cleaner is what they sprayed the gun with and stopped my ammo from jamming. There is a number after the "B", but i can't remember it. Not to long afterwards, i shot though the wolf ammo again with no problems. My conclusion is that the cleaner solved my jamming problem and it wasn't because of the wolf ammo.

Hope this helps,sorry for the confusion, I know, i'm an ass.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:22:17 AM EDT
[#7]
The older Wolf ammo had a red sealant ring at the case mouth and primer area (it wasn't wax).  Many thought that this was what was causing some rifles to suffer with stuck cases as this red stuff got everywhere.  Sometime in the last year or so Wolf quit using the red sealant at the case mouth.  I think the primers are still sealed, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.  The new stuff doesn't appear to be sealed and if it is, I don't know what with.

Wolf's web site shows both the 55 and 62 grain .223 ammo as being boxer primed, copper jacketed ammo.  I have heard of people that have reloaded the boxer primed steel pistol cases, but it's not very popular.  Not sure I've ever heard of the rifle cases being reloaded.  I think that most feel that the steel cases would wear a set of dies out faster.  Some others would argue that point.

Hoppy  
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#8]
it was probubally b-12 which is not a gun cleaner but a carburator cleaner which will disolve about anything
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry, i was in a bit of a hurry at the time and i had a feeling i was going to get this.    

In short, i was shooting Wolf ammo and it was jamming every couple rounds. The gun shop sprayed out the "lower reciever" with a gun cleaner. I fired wolf ammo through it again with no problems. Therefore, the gun cleaner did the job and i now use wolf for "plinking."

Long Story--The gun had never been fired. I shot just a couple rounds of wolf ammo with every couple shots jamming. I took it to the gun shop because i had to pick stuff up there anyways. When i said "opened up the rifle" i think it's called the lower reciever that "opens" when you push  the pin(right) that is below the foward assist. I didn't want to throw terms around that i wasn't sure of but i guess i should have just kept my mouth shout completely. The B# cleaner is what they sprayed the gun with and stopped my ammo from jamming. There is a number after the "B", but i can't remember it. Not to long afterwards, i shot though the wolf ammo again with no problems. My conclusion is that the cleaner solved my jamming problem and it wasn't because of the wolf ammo.

View Quote

So you mean you had to take your gun to the gun shop to have it cleaned??

Oh brother,  I suggest you get a manual for your weapon and learn how to "open it up" yourself.

It's not that hard and if you don't know how to clean your ar,  you shouldn't be firing it.

It sounds like your gun was so gummed up it wouldn't function properly.  If you "open it up" and clean it once in a while,  this won't happen.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The wolf .223 is boxer primed the 7.62x39 and other commie cal stuff is berdan primed. Wolf does make some mil spec stuff that is brass cased, but you won't find it on the civilian market as far as i can tell. It's LE/military sales only, don't know why. I haven't been able to get to that page on the site for some time now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you took a new gun to the range and shot it with ammo that is well, dirty and are wondering why it jammed? Was the gun new when you took it out, as in NIB and never shot. Ya gotta clean it befor ya shoot it the first time or that kinda stuff can happen.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The gun shop sprayed out the "lower reciever" with a gun cleaner.
View Quote

I don't understand how cleaning out the lower would fix a jamming broblem? Was it the upper they sprayed?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
power_stroked:

Much better! Thanks for the clarification. Glad they found an easy way to fix what ailed you, although I'm surprised that it worked - don't know what would make your gun jam from the lower receiver being slightly dirty (I assume you would have noticed the lower being REALLY dirty). Lowers generally don't need cleaning; I usually just wipe down what I can reach with a rag that has some CLP on it.

BTW - it's "B12 Chemtool" I *think*.

And what others have said - make sure you understand the process for field-stripping your rifle by reading your manual so you know how to clean it properly and know where to look for problems. Good luck with your rifle.

Other thoughts: 1) I'm surprised Bushy would send out a rifle whose lower is so gummed up that it would jam. 2) Wolf is somewhat dirtier than other ammo, but it wouldn't cause a lower to not function properly after a few shots.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

nah, you're not an ass.  everyone learns by doing around here.
as others said, get yourself a manual (should be one with the bushy) and take the rifle apart, scrub it down, lube it up with some CLP  and shoot.  always keep safety in mind.
if you're unsure of its operation, get some of the PA folks here to meet you and help you thru.
AND...if you get it apart and can't get it back together...you ARE an ass! (kidding)[:D]
no, take it to the gunshop and be honest but have them show YOU how to put it all back together and take it apart, put it back together, etc.   this is half the fun of it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I shoot at my grandma's house and the gun shop is 2 mins away, owned by a friend of the family. It's no big deal to take it to them and i work their when he needs help. With dusk setting in, i didn't know if i had time to see if i could solve the problem. The gun never fired, i wasn't sure if it was a factory problem. I agree with the one who said half the fun is taking apart and putting the gun back together, i love maintaining my guns and especially my Ford diesel truck (hence my screen name). My dad was in the military so he is familiar with the ar15s, he was at work at the time. Thanks for the help everybody. Next time my .02 is worth it, i promise i'll know my gun parts.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My .02cents
View Quote

What in the heck does that mean? I re-read it several times and still can't make sense of it. Were you having problems with Wolf but not with other ammo? What prompted you to take the Bushy to the gun shop? What is "opening up the rifle" mean? What was the B??? cleaner supposed to alleviate? It didn't jam with a 10 round "clip" using what kind of ammo?

This whole "new" Wolf ammo sounds like some kind of uneducated shooter trying to sound important. Why would you use moly to seal anything ? Molybdenum Disulfide is an excellent lubricant, but using it to SEAL stuff? Sounds like BS to me....
View Quote

This uneducated shooter is correct; he just got his coatings confused...a new Polymer coating, not a  moly coating.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top