Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2008 4:32:01 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've been shooting and hunting all my life, but I only own lever action, bolt action, and flintlock rifles, and my shotgun is a side-by-side. So, I'm new to the AR market.

I live in CT, so I have to deal with our asinine "assault weapon" laws, which means no flash suppressors, bayonet mounts, extendable stocks, etc. Basically, it's Hell. Anyway, one rifle that I really like (and that conforms to CT law) is the Rock River Arms Varmint A4. I'd like to throw a nice scope on there, along with an ACE Skeleton stock.

My question is whether there are any drawbacks to getting the 16" rather than the 18"? Since the barrels are so heavy on these suckers I'd prefer the shorter and lighter 16". However, I'v heard that the mid-length gas system of the 18" is preferable, but I honestly don't know what that means. I'll be using the rifle to just have some fun at the range, and to hunt coyote, so I don't need anything that has to function in extreme conditions. But, of course, I'd prefer the to deal with the extra length if it meant an all-around more reliable rifle.

Side note: I'm away in Scotland now, but I wanted to ensure that I have my purchase planned out in advance. I'll be back in December, and if Obama wins the election I want to make sure I have my rifle safely in my hands in case he and his left-wing pals decide to further screw with America's gun owners and the US Constitution.

Thanks a lot for your help, fellas.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got the RRA Varminter with the 24" bbl. You are right, these suckers can get heavy FAST! Personally, I would recommend the 18" bbl. You'll gain a little velocity over the 16" and have the middy gas system. You'll get the Wylde chamber and a 1:8 twist so you will probably have good results shooting bullet's 55 grn's and up.

I'm supposed to go 'yote busting tomorrow evening, will post pics if I get one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Another option is the RRA Predator Pursuit.  It has a rifle length gas system and utilizes the RRA National Match barrel.  It is lighter than the varmint barrel but still no lightweight.  You give up nothing in the accuracy department.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a Rock River middie for several years, and I love it.  That 16" barrel is more accurate than I'm likely to be, at least out to ranges I can realistically shoot at.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Another option is the RRA Predator Pursuit.  It has a rifle length gas system and utilizes the RRA National Match barrel.  It is lighter than the varmint barrel but still no lightweight.  You give up nothing in the accuracy department.

I believe that profile is only in front of the gas block. under the handgaurd its still that same huge profile. I wish they made that gun with a  non tapered .750 barrel
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top