Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:01:34 AM EDT
I am in the process of choosing a light for my 6920 and I would like to know if anyone knows if Surefire will be coming out with a high output LED for their weapon lights anytime soon. I know they are slated to release their variable (2-200lu) output Optimus flashlight this summer and if they are going to release a similar product for their weapon light I might wait for that. If not I will go ahead and make a purchase. Any info would be helpful.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 4:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered one of these for my M951:

www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=7

235 lumens, baby!  

Link Posted: 4/10/2008 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I am very interested in that for my SF G2, even though it costs twice what the original light cost. My question is how can it output 3.5 times the lumens of my current 65 lum, for nearly 1/2 hour longer with the same batteries?

Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=7

235 lumens, baby!  

Cool!
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#4]
You may want to consider the soon to be released P61L.  I believe the projected output will be in the neighborhood of 200 Surefire lumens.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The Malkoff is a great drop-in, but the G2 isn't the best host.  Despite the Malkoff's massive brass heatsink/body, the plastic G2 body doesn't conduct heat away well, and they recommend limiting the runtime in the G2.  A 6P makes a much better donor body.

There are lots of lower power drop-ins that don't have that risk.

Surefire's going to release their P61L, rumored at 200 lumens, as already said.  Like all things Surefire, they'll be pricey and should be more reliable than the inexpensive Ebay drop-ins.

Here are some comparisons of P60 drop-ins from Malkoff, Ebay, and DX, in a variety of bodies:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=367207

Quoted:
I am very interested in that for my SF G2, even though it costs twice what the original light cost. My question is how can it output 3.5 times the lumens of my current 65 lum, for nearly 1/2 hour longer with the same batteries?

The P60 is incandescent, and gives off a ton of heat, while the drop-ins are LED and give off much less heat, so the power goes into light and runtime instead.  Even so, an incandescent filament is happy at thousands of degrees, while an LED needs to have its heat conducted away so it doesn't damage the silicon.
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Malkoff is a great drop-in, but the G2 isn't the best host.  Despite the Malkoff's massive brass heatsink/body, the plastic G2 body doesn't conduct heat away well, and they recommend limiting the runtime in the G2.  A 6P makes a much better donor body.

There are lots of lower power drop-ins that don't have that risk.

Surefire's going to release their P61L, rumored at 200 lumens, as already said.  Like all things Surefire, they'll be pricey and should be more reliable than the inexpensive Ebay drop-ins.

Here are some comparisons of P60 drop-ins from Malkoff, Ebay, and DX, in a variety of bodies:

Quoted:

The P60 is incandescent, and gives off a ton of heat, while the drop-ins are LED and give off much less heat, so the power goes into light and runtime instead.  Even so, an incandescent filament is happy at thousands of degrees, while an LED needs to have its heat conducted away so it doesn't damage the silicon.

Thanks for the information, and I appreciate the advice on the G2..  So if I were to do it anyway, figuring I wouldn't use it for 'extended periods' of time, what would you say is a 'reasonable' "limiting the runtime in the G2"?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's what Malkoff says about it.  They're changing web pages, and this info isn't on either the new or old page yet, but was in the Google cache of the old page:

Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate at maximum brightness for tactical usage similar to the original setup. Operating the unit for more than 15 continuous minutes in plastic lights may cause damage to the drop-in module. This is not an issue in metal lights.

You can get a 6P with batteries and standard P60 for $41 shipped here, then add the Malkoff for a pretty wack $100 weapon light:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250234551050&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

You can also get the Fenix TK-10 for about $75 shipped.  While it's not as well proven as the Surefire, and I haven't been completely happy with my single Fenix, it sounds like a pretty good light, and has the plus of 60 lumens for small room work or 235 lumens for outdoor or big room work.

I like the P60 style Surefires because the upgrade market really centers around them, and there are tons of options for drop-ins, plus they've got good warranty support and known reliability.

Link Posted: 4/12/2008 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info Maxi, I bought the ebay auction 6P you posted.

Now I'll look into getting the upgrade..  
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

235 lumens, baby!  

Cool!

Ok, I got it yesterday.  Man, what a light!  It lights up the whole house when I turn it on, and I can see anything I want in the yard (120 ft).  I'll have to take it out somewhere I can try it at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

235 lumens, baby!  

Crap!!  Looks like they're sold out..     Idea when they'll be available??

Any other sources or alternatives that would be equal?

Link Posted: 4/13/2008 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

235 lumens, baby!  

Cool!

Ok, I got it yesterday.  Man, what a light!  It lights up the whole house when I turn it on, and I can see anything I want in the yard (120 ft).  I'll have to take it out somewhere I can try it at longer ranges.

Very cool Fiza, I just ordered a 6P and planned on getting the Malkoff, but it looks like I'll be waiting...

If you can post some pics of before and after. Sounds like a great upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Crap!!  Looks like they're sold out..     Idea when they'll be available??

Any other sources or alternatives that would be equal?

Bugoutgear has a good alternative:
www.bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

OR Pacific Tactical, which has multimode modules
www.pts-flashlights.com/products/productList.aspx?uid=1-25-114-125

I have a Deal Extreme R2 dropin in a G2Z:
www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836
Very bright, equal to my TK10, slight dark ring around the very well defined hotspot (not noticealbe except against a white wall).  

Link Posted: 4/13/2008 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks USM, I'll check into those..

Link Posted: 4/13/2008 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If you can wait, Malkoff usually releases his dropins in batches, so the next batch may be in 3 to 4 weeks, at a guess.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2008 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you can wait, Malkoff usually releases his dropins in batches, so the next batch may be in 3 to 4 weeks, at a guess.  

Actually I can wait.. Not expecting any home invasions, zombies, or need to join a local militia any time soon..

Just building the rifle and collecting parts as we are writing. It's just like impulsive urges at times to speed the process up.. lol

At least I have other options I was not aware of, so thanks to the OP and to you for the options!  
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Very cool Fiza, I just ordered a 6P and planned on getting the Malkoff, but it looks like I'll be waiting...

If you can post some pics of before and after. Sounds like a great upgrade.

sbninja's got some before and after pics of his 6P and ebay dropin, and I've got pics of the Malkoff, P61 lamp, and ebay dropin, in this thread:

The Malkoff's great for a combination of throw and spill, while the ebay dropin is more concentrated in the hotspot with less spill, which should give good reach.  Haven't done any real long range testing yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Surefire is going to be producing a KL9 LED head for the M96x/M900/M3 that puts out 350 lumens.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Any idea when?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 2:44:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to be using a Surefire M3 with the KL9 on my new rifle. I emailed a rep over at Surefire and was told they were due for a summer release. <fingers crossed>
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Just remember, as Surefire themselves say in their catalog, there is such a thing as too much light. It just depends on your intended usage. I do not think I would want 350lm for inside work. I sometimes think my old 9P (9v) with Malkoff is too much, but it is great for outdoor use as well - a good compromise. Plus, I have a red tip off filter for low light navigation.

The Malkoff drop-in is well worth waiting for. Subscribe to his mailings and you should get updates of inventory about every Monday. You have to be quick to get these puppies. I need another one right now, but my timing has been off for the last couple times.

I probably shouldn't tell everyone, but if you haven't set up a new account on his web site, you probably haven't received any updates for the past couple of weeks. New site software upgrade wiped all user accounts. Check it out.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top