Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2015 12:40:27 PM EDT
(Copypasted from my GD post HERE)

Just got the email on my way to work.  Looks like it'll come apart similar to the 10/22 TD, except it'll just be the barrel that comes out of the receiver.  The rail system stays in place.  They are making different barrels for it, and it comes in a takedown bag like the 10/22 TD.  Supposedly shipping now with a MSRP of $2000.  I'd guess street prices of $1600-1800 though.

Comes with their new 2 stage trigger pack, magpul stock and grip, and (they almost look like Samson) iron sights.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr556TD/models.html

Takedown Barrel
The takedown barrel is removed from the upper receiver by simply moving the slider bar towards the breech, rotating the barrel and pulling it free - no tools required. Installation is simpler yet - just slide the barrel into the upper and twist until it locks. The takedown mechanism provides a repeatable point of impact.

Replaceable Barrel Kit
MSR shooters that desire a larger cartridge will be excited to find that a replaceable barrel kit chambered in 300 AAC Blackout is available on ShopRuger.com. This range-ready barrel's headspace is set at the factory and comes complete with a metal flip-up elevation & windage adjustable front sight and two, 30-round metal magazines marked with "300 AAC BLACKOUT" to ensure easy differentiation.

Also Includes:
Rugged, ballistic nylon case; three rail covers and lock.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be nice for a bumpsaw - easy quick change barrel solution.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Was going to post this very thing.  Glad I did a search first.  (Trying to keep the stench of 13'er off of me).  

This looks like an interesting setup.  Glad to see they're offering a 300 Blackout option.  I've been saying for the last couple of years that I wish they'd offer more barrel/caliber options in the piston line.  They had a couple, but they're gone now.  Adjustable gas and 300 Blackout swappable with ability to shut off the gas and shoot suppressed?  Yes, please.  I'll bet these sell like hotcakes.  

I have a Ruger SR556 and it's ran flawlessly.  The trigger was absolute crap, and I replaced it with an SSA-E.  I'm glad to see they upgraded the trigger.  The demo model I've tried at the LGS seemed a lot smoother with a decent break.  Definitely a lot lighter than the 8lb gravel-grinder they used to come with.  Other than that, mine has been a solid rifle.  

I'll be interested to see how well this rifle re-zero's after removing and then re-attaching the barrel.  I have a Ruger 10/22 takedown and the POI shift isn't very good after re-assembly.  The biggest issue is the hand-guard on the 10/22 comes off with the barrel; and any varying pressure is imparted to the barrel.  It looks like they've taken it into consideration with the fact that the rail remains in place on the SR556TD.  
Assuming the repeatability is there; I may have to sell off my SR556 and jump one one of these instead.  

The bag's a nice touch, too.  That's one add-on I really liked with my 10/22 TD.  Everything fits neatly in place and the extra pockets for a couple of mags and some supplies are a plus.  

Great post, OP.  Definitely gonna tag for range reports from the "early adopters".
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Meh

The takedown feature seems kinda pointless, and for similar money, there are better options
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top