Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/5/2004 7:21:35 PM EST
Hello to you all.
This is my first post here but I am certainly not new to firearms, or for that matter to the M16...
The last time I handled a M16 A1 was when I left the Marine Corps in 1983. (S/Sgt, 0451)

I sent my check for a Bronze membership but until it is active, my searches are limited to the past 30 days so if this has been covered, I would appreciate a link to the thread.

My question is this...

I want a new carbine and I have settled on Pete at Legal Transfer, largely because of the positive comments I found here. I have read about the supposed extra stress on the action of a M4 carbine gas system versus the mid length system that translates to a longer lag time and less wear and tear on the bolt. It also gives the rifle a smoother recoil impulse, etc, etc....

At least this is my read on all this.

I called Rock River and they said there was no evidence to this (and that there would be a eight week wait!) Pete also said this was BS and I am not doubting these sources as much as trying to see what the reason for the mid length is beside the slightly longer handguards and 2" additional sight radius... Am I missing something?

I have pretty much settled on a fairly standard M4 16" no ban, collapsible stock, flat top with ARMS #40 chrome 1/9. Not sure of the optics yet but I do like the Aimpoint Comp M2 currently on my DSA FAL. I have ALOT of 55 grain ammo to shoot up...

Suggestions or comments please...

Thank you!

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:30:14 PM EST
Let's get this out of the way first......GET BOTH!

Ok I have both Carbine and Midlength gas system carbine's and can tell you the Midlength is a smoother system, Big deal? prolly not. The carbine will have more options available when it comes time for a rail system, That time WILL come trust me.
Oh and welcome to our sickness!......Udog
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:29:00 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:42:29 AM EST
If you don't have a lot of "options" on your gun, check out ADCO. A buddy of mine bought his RRA lower parts kit from them and it was at his door in 2 days. Direct from RRA, you're looking at a month minimum.
Also, I went with midlength on mine and although I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet (so I can't verify the impulse claim), I must say it looks much better than a regular M4 or CAR handguard.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:59:28 AM EST
Welcome and Semper Fi! Unfortunately I can't help you. I stick with the 20" A2. However, goodluck!

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:05:14 AM EST
I like my M4, I have never had a mid length so I can not comment on them but I have owned A2 style full lengths, CAR-15 style rifles, and M4 style rifles and I love my M4. I have been offered WAY more for my rifle than what I built it for and will not get rid of it. Others might argue but I like mine...

Not only does it shoot great but it looks cool also...

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:31:57 AM EST
I would choose the mid-length gas system even if it didn't have a smoother recoil impulse. It still has the advantages of a longer sight radius, additional rail space, and (though subjective) asthetics.

But the best reason: you can put a bayo on that sucker.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:39:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By M4-guy:
I would choose the mid-length gas system even if it didn't have a smoother recoil impulse. It still has the advantages of a longer sight radius, additional rail space, and (though subjective) asthetics.

But the best reason: you can put a bayo on that sucker.

Although a bayonet is the least of my worries, and the "looking cool" aspect is just a joke, I can put a bayonet on mine without a problem if I had a bayonet lug but since I will not be bayonetting anyone I will not pay for the extra work. And as far as sight radius goes, isn't it only and extra inch and a half? I am not sure on that. I do agree with the extra rail space but I ran out of things to put on my rail before I filled it up . Again, to each his own... I think they are all cool as long as they launch bullets down range.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:07:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 9:07:40 AM EST by jar3ds]
completely depends... the carbine has the advantage of the PRI gas system if your really concerned about wear... i have a normal carbine system with a 16" barrel and i'm doing fine... i use an H-buffer to help a little with an extrapower extractor spring...

midlengths have some advatages but there isn't as much assessories for it... so i went with carbine... if carbine's sucked we wouldn't have the m4

Look Here
Top Top