Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 9:29:09 PM EDT
Ok. I'm buying a new M4gery. I've already decided on all the particulars such as flat top, 16" barrel,etc.

I've owned a bushy before and it was pretty reliable (2 FTF's in 3000 rounds). But I'm considering the DMPS so I can get 1 in 7 twist and the ramp cuts.

So the question is Bushy or DPMS?? And Why? Is the DPMS stuff better than the Bushy? If not, I'll just get another Bushy.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I love bushy's but I got to tell you that my DPMS M4 upper that came from CMMG is really wonderful.

I also like having the 1:7 twist for my M855 rounds.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]
i also have a dpms m4 upper from cmmg it is very nice and the guys at cmmg are great to work with.i like it better than my bushy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both, and they are equally sweet!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want a 16" 1/7 upper between the two choices you gave you should go with CMMG/DPMS.

IMHO, you should go with a 1/7 barrel to have more options in regards to ammo selection.

OK, now DPMS or Bushy???

In my exprience most of the upper receivers from the big manufactureres will be mil-spec and will work great.  

Now when it come to barrels Colt, and Bushmaster make the closest to mil-spec.  Both use 4150 steel, 5.56 chambers, chrome lined chamber and bore and forged front sight bases.

I believe, Colt has both 14.6" and 16" in 1/7 and 1/9 barrels with the above features.  Colt also tends to cost almost twice as much as Bushmaster.

Bushmaster has 14.5" barrels in 1/7 and sometimes(very rare) has a 16" 1/7.  Bushmater has the 16" in 1/9 twist as their normal production.

The CMMG/DPMS upper's and 1/7 barrels are a special order production made only for CMMG and can't be ordered directly from DPMS.

The CMMG M4 upper can be had with 14.5" or 16" M4 barrels that are 4150 steel, chambered in 5.56, with chrome lined chamber and bore and the M4 feed ramps.  

They do however come with a cast front sight base.  I'm not sure why CMMG can special order all the other features but is unable to get DPMS to use forged front sights.  This may be a big issue to you or not but from what I've been told Steve@ADCO will replace them for $65!  I had plans to swap my front sight out with a PRI flip-up so this was a non-issue for me.  If however, I decide to keep the standard front sightI would have it replaced with a forged version so I could have all mil-spec.

I originally had a Bushmaster 16", 1/9 M4 upper on order after 12 weeks it got kind of old and during that time I was reading about the heavier more effective ammo that required a 1/7 barrel.  I then decided I wanted a 16", 1/7 barrel and since Bushmaster wasn't making them and I didn't want to pay the $$ for a Colt I went with the CMMG upper.  I have no regrets and it's been super reliable and accurate for me!

Here's my rifle!

[img]http://a1.cpimg.com/image/DF/0F/19896031-2588-02000180-.jpg[/img]

Also, here's a thread I started when I put my rifle together.  Check it out there's lots of pics too![;)]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=162739[/url]

Keep posted on what you decide!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both a DPMS M4 barrel and a Govt Profile 20" barrel from CMMG.  CMMG are great people to deal with and their products are top notch.  This is my pre-ban DPMS that used to wear a bushy upper, I barreled up a DPMS upper with an M4 barrel from CMMG with a permanent phantom attached.  I really like the quality.

[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/2694DPMS-med.jpg[/img].

IDHunt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top