Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/7/2010 12:45:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You guys are always coming up with some of the coolest stuff to feed our Retro Disease.    Keep up the great work!  
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet, I like the look. Now I have another reason to sell more copper to give you more money. This retro AR addiction is getting worse than my AK habit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes! You guys are the greatest!
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You just HAD to post that pic with an NDS-32 upper didn't you Mike? Dammit. You may have posted the pic of the perfect carbine! Great job on the middy HGs. I bought a set of regular middy guards off the EE awhile back JUST to get the measurements to make my own, and here you go and make it too easy for us. Thank you!

I just have to ask though - you said they are painted. Are they mottled brown underneath?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You just HAD to post that pic with an NDS-32 upper didn't you Mike? Dammit. You may have posted the pic of the perfect carbine! Great job on the middy HGs. I bought a set of regular middy guards off the EE awhile back JUST to get the measurements to make my own, and here you go and make it too easy for us. Thank you!

I just have to ask though - you said they are painted. Are they mottled brown underneath?

That would be Retro Blasphemy.

Some people would say a carry-handle charger upper on a middy barrel would qualify also...but not me! I guess I could always paint them green... Actually, maybe tan...

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Actually, maybe tan...

You mean FDE?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh .... my.

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Mike, Have you got a picture of what they look like inside?

I'm thinking about a clearance issue I might have with a .936 barrel and a lo-profile gas block.

ETA: Oh, and if you want to have me stress test a set on my .458 Socom, I've got 100 rounds I'm ready to burn off.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Why you dirty evil.......ingenious!!

now I may have to get an NDS32 after all!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I hear Angels singing..................
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I see a 607 build in my future , even if they don't have a 607 rear HG cap. A mid-length 607 is not correct, but it is closest I can get with my laws.

I still would wish for a standard 607 style HG cap for a middy though. Anymore "secrets" to share?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]
My wallet is flat and my bank account is already screaming and crying.....................
Why oh why am I suffering from RBRD?

Btw, Mike you are evil, mean, wicked, and nasty!!!
Now I have to save more money for at least one more build.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Well f*ck me sideways.   I just got a lot of free time.

And I just invested a fair amount of money into my endevour.

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Edit for correctness: If I wasn't going broke on my 20" rifle obsession, I would get a set of these and build up a middy, but it looks like the middy to put them on will be out of reach for a while.

Still, freakin cool at any rate!
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Mike, I'm curious to see some of the details up close, if you have the time.

Also, are the heat shields present and complete?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#20]
perfect.oh now you need to make those to fit the round carbine front pieces.LOL
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't worry about that, there is probably a big enough market for multiple vendors.

If you were to take paypal you would get lots of people that don't want to mail in a money order.

I am just going to focus on the prototype 607 hg. It interests me more.
Years ago that idea was in my head. It did not cross my mind to make one until I saw it in the black rifle book (or a page of it from the internet)
Besides mine, I havent heard of anyone else trying  to make that. I dont even think anyone knows about it.

the NDS version is clean looking. Mine is the opposite.

hint for you guys with oddball spec barrels. The standard middy hg might not fit certain barrels under the front cap. Just open up the hole. I used a dremel tool. A drill bit would be just as effective.

All my a1 chop job uppers are going to be at Knob Creek. Come by the table and check my stuff out. Wanna buy a MG42? How about two of them?

Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#22]

I'll let the animations do the talking
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Swell, now I need to start shopping for a 14.5 barrel and an extended A2 flash hider to pin on once the front handguard cap is installed.  My money order for the lower hasn't even arrived there yet. This RBRD is spreading fast!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 3:46:27 AM EDT
[#24]
these will look good on one of my middy builds...but not the 607

I'm still hoping someone will come out with a mid-length rear cap....and since we're starting from scratch, make it so that it has the handguards offset towards the bottom of the cap (the reinforcement shelf would be very cool as well)  like the real deal did, not centered on the cap like the later commercial carbine length versions are.

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm still hoping someone will come out with a mid-length rear cap....and since we're starting from scratch, make it so that it has the handguards offset towards the bottom of the cap (the reinforcement shelf would be very cool as well)  like the real deal did, not centered on the cap like the later commercial carbine length versions are.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/Colt_607_030.jpg

Is that a one off rear cap?  I'm just learning about the 607s and will build one some day.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm going out on a limb here and saying that these NDS HGs are going to be wildly successful.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a one off rear cap?  I'm just learning about the 607s and will build one some day.

nope..that's just one of the many pics of a real 607, that were provided to us by one of our members awhile back

here's another
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:55:58 AM EDT
[#28]
This is great hope you guys get these out soon!!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The reason the commercial rear caps made recently do not (and cannot) bias the handguards towards the bottom of the rear cap is because of the later bend of the gas tubes. If you look at the second photo posted from that previous thread, that REAL 607 has a carbine length early bend gas tube. A later bend would simply not fit in that handguard without interference with the upper "teeth".
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Anyone know what the back end of this retainer looks like?
Does it have a shoulder that sits in the slip ring or it just a tight fit around the back of the barrel and retained by the barrel nut?
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

All my a1 chop job uppers are going to be at Knob Creek. Come by the table and check my stuff out. Wanna buy a MG42? How about two of them?

I wish I weren't so far from Knob Creek, I'd definitely stop by your table! I'd like to see pics of those uppers. On another note, a friend of mine here who is a WWII German reeanactor has not only an MG42, but an MG34, a ZB26, a G43 and an Mp40. Now that the weathers nice we should be able to get out shooting - had to cancel a couple times. I told him I really want to try the Mp40 - it's always been one of my favorite guns, ever since it 'starred' in 'Where Eagles Dare' in the hands of Clint Eastwood. Someday if I ever buy a Class III MG, it'll likely be an Mp40. I like Swedissh K's too... Have a great time at the Creek jhud, and post pics!

Link Posted: 4/8/2010 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I guess this means I don't have to send you a 'heads-up' link to this thread... :-(

Have a good time at The Creek!

Hmm... That's an NDS 32 upper? I think I need to look into those a little further. Kinda Cool....
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#33]
OK, I'm afraid an entirely new problem exists.  With the intro of the middy triangle hand guards, I'm going to have to build a rifle to accommodate them. My goal is to source a compatible 14.5" middy barrel.  All of the ones I'm finding have the extended flash hider already pinned in place. I need one that is not pinned in place yet so that I can remove the FSB and replace the front cap with a tri-angle cap.  Damn, my head hurts!  Thanks MIke!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OK, I'm afraid an entirely new problem exists.  With the intro of the middy triangle hand guards, I'm going to have to build a rifle to accommodate them. My goal is to source a compatible 14.5" middy barrel.  All of the ones I'm finding have the extended flash hider already pinned in place. I need one that is not pinned in place yet so that I can remove the FSB and replace the front cap with a tri-angle cap.  Damn, my head hurts!  Thanks MIke!

Wait...I thought all middy rifles normally used triangle caps?!

ETA: CMMG 14.5 Govt profile + pinned Phantom FH

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=67
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I weren't so far from Knob Creek, I'd definitely stop by your table! I'd like to see pics of those uppers. On another note, a friend of mine here who is a WWII German reeanactor has not only an MG42, but an MG34, a ZB26, a G43 and an Mp40. Now that the weathers nice we should be able to get out shooting - had to cancel a couple times. I told him I really want to try the Mp40 - it's always been one of my favorite guns, ever since it 'starred' in 'Where Eagles Dare' in the hands of Clint Eastwood. Someday if I ever buy a Class III MG, it'll likely be an Mp40. I like Swedissh K's too... Have a great time at the Creek jhud, and post pics!

I might get up on the roof and take some video if I can get some free time.

If anyone wants to stop and chat..... table B21 in the barn.

I mentioned MG42's earlier... Meant to type 34. My bad.

RRA has a table across from me. Lots and lots of upper, including middys.

Model 1 and Doublestar have even more!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#37]

UBER  kiss principle!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Having never seen how one of those uppers work, Can someone explain it to me.
Keep it simple, no big words.......Pictures help a lot!!!!

I'm used to the normal ones where you pull the charging handle out of the back end.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait...I thought all middy rifles normally used triangle caps?!

ETA: CMMG 14.5 Govt profile + pinned Phantom FH

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/1191-1461.jpg
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=67

That would greatly simplify my endeavor!
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Having never seen how one of those uppers work, Can someone explain it to me.
Keep it simple, no big words.......Pictures help a lot!!!!

I'm used to the normal ones where you pull the charging handle out of the back end.

Works the same way. Instead of the "T" to pull back on you grab the trigger with a finger of your choosing and pull to the rear. I use the middle one naturally.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Very nice, Mike & Harlan.  I'd still like the rear cap version, though.

I used to live 45 minutes from Knob Creek - I only went once, and not during the big show!  Now I'm a bit too far afield...dangit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Mike, what happened to the carbine triangular handguards that were on the site?
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Btt, I just cant stop looking at this one.
I think I'm going to be in trouble soon with my wife......
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Man, why did you have to come out with these things just when I decided to sell my unfired lightweight middy CMMG 16" barrel...
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#46]
My wife is gonna be fit to be tied when she figures out that I am building another carbine.
I've already determined that I have to have a a middy w/these handguards and upper, 3 prong repro flashider, 2 pos. buttstock, and a middy pencil barrel.....I am so screwed..................
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I sent in $60.00 in advance for mine, otherwise I'd waste it on groceries.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone know what the back end of this retainer looks like?
Does it have a shoulder that sits in the slip ring or it just a tight fit around the back of the barrel and retained by the barrel nut?

Sits in the slipring
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#50]
WHY OH WHY did i not find this a day ago, just bought some carbine ones.
So glad you guys did this, been wanting some triangular middys for a long time.
bravo!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top