Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2006 8:26:39 AM EDT
Hi, Im the new guy on the block, and have some questions about building an AR 15.  Basically I have read a little on them, and was wondering if I buy a complete upper, and complete lower, will it form to make a shootable gun? Is there a connecting kit with springs and pins I need to connect the two? Do I have to worry about "the ban"?

I would like to build one because I know it can be cheaper than buying a complete rifle.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Is there a connecting kit with springs and pins I need to connect the two?
No connecting kit needed. AR-15 uppers & lowers are made to fit together, easily swapping between rifles.

...if I buy a complete upper, and complete lower, will it form to make a shootable gun?
In most cases, yes.
Colt's use a slightly different connecting method, so Colt's uppers and Colt's lowers are not immediatly interchangable with others. These parts are usually identified.

If you get a standard upper and a standard lower, they fit together with two push-pins. These push-pins stay with the lower.

Do I have to worry about "the ban"?
There is no Federal ban in place. It expired and is gone.
If PA has any bans like CA and NY enacted, then you have to worry about these state laws.

...it can be cheaper than buying a complete rifle

There is usually little financial advantage in building your own, especially if you are assembling only one or two. Cost of tools and parts will usually top the purchase cost of a complete rifle.

Oh yea... Welcome!    

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:11:20 AM EDT
[#2]
What he said answered all of your questions. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out. And welcome to the forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top