Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2006 8:10:55 AM EDT
Is there a thread anywhere that covers basic new mag inspection and testing?  Things that you should do to a new mag before using it?  I have seen diffrent threads with things talking about deburing and using a wooden ruler and such.  Was looking for one post that had a good overall explination of these steps and photos with it would make it even better.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
how is this ?

http://www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote41.htm
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have seen diffrent threads with things talking about deburing and using a wooden ruler and such.

You'll read a lot of STUPID NONSENSE like that if you're here long enough.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The best thing to do is shoot shoot shoot it and let it have quality bonding time with your rifle.  If needed, send me the mags (loaded with 30rds) and I will test and evaluate them for you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
If you feel you MUST do something, Take a screwdriver or ruler and depress the follower up and down the inside of the mag a couple of times, or load it and-

Just shoot it
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you feel you MUST do something, Take a screwdriver or ruler and depress the follower up and down the inside of the mag a couple of times

I heard that's good for removing all of those burrs on the inside!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have seen diffrent threads with things talking about deburing and using a wooden ruler and such.

I think he is talking about deburring the followers.  I think the guys at magpul encourage you to do that if you install their followers.  Some of them seem to have excessive amounts of flash on them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#7]
All I can say with my experience with New GI mags with green followers, is I
-unwrap them
-spray  paint a stenciled ID number on each one
- add a Gen 1 Mag pul
-load up 28 rds
-Shoot

if I have a problem, I trouble shoot and reshoot them
if trouble persists..... in the trash and unwrap a new one.....

I make life real simple.

have not had a problem yet....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he is talking about deburring the followers.  I think the guys at magpul encourage you to do that if you install their followers.  Some of them seem to have excessive amounts of flash on them.

Then those Crooks at MAGPUL should remove it before they ship it!  Shit!  They make enough money off of the Dumb asses on this site to hire a midget to remove flash!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#9]
This is just my opinion and we manufacture magazines.....If you cannot take the mag out of the bag, load 30 rounds(or the number you like) and fire, send it back to the manufacturer and that includes us. Could you imagine if our military or LE had to tweak their mags prior to use in a firefight? Lock and load, fire!!!!

Larry
C Products
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Then those Crooks at MAGPUL should remove it before they ship it!  Shit!  They make enough money off of the Dumb asses on this site to hire a midget to remove flash!  

You'd think at $2 a piece those things should be perfect.  The standard GI followers actually seem to be much higher quality.  How do I know?  I'm one of the dumb asses on this site that bought some.  Won't be buying more though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You'd think at $2 a piece those things should be perfect.  The standard GI followers actually seem to be much higher quality.  How do I know?  I'm one of the dumb asses on this site that bought some.  Won't be buying more though.

TS
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  I've probably seen it at least 87 times or so...

Seriously, try this procedure:

1. [picking up mag]  "Looks like a mag..."

2. [loading rounds]  "Loads like a mag..."

3. [inserting into weapon] "Fits like a mag..."

4. [firing weapon]  "Dang!  Works (or doesn't) like a mag, too!"

This regimen has always served me well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Magpul fixed the flash issues in the second version (the grey ones). DSG is running a SS special for grey teflon mags with w/ Gen II magpul for $11 apiece. Normally I would not get the magpuls for at that price I figured why not.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Fire new (or new to you) mags a few times with only 5 rounds.  Generally, when there is a problem, it is due to weak springs.  If it will feed the last 5 and lock back the bolt carrier, the mag is usually good to go.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top