Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 6:55:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2009 7:02:17 PM EST by rounderdude]
I have a NIB Colt LE6920, that has a side-to-side "slop" (wiggle) of...maybe, 1/8th-inch, in the fore-end grips. I, also, have another one that is unfired and the fore-end grips are tight to the barrel. They have NO movement at all. My first thought is that the grips just need to be "set". I am not familiar with these grips and have not attempted to do anything, as of yet. Just thought I would inquire first, as someone may have a "been-there-done-that" experience.

Thanks,

Dave
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:49:40 AM EST
Wiggling handguards are normal. Some guns are tighter than others.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:50:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 6:51:06 PM EST by rounderdude]
Really, wiggle is normal? I have a Colt that is 15 yrs old, a Bushmaster and the two LE Colts. The only one with wiggle is one of the two LE's. I can't believe that would be an overlooked characteristic, in the Quality check, before one is allowed to leave the plant. It certainly is not desireable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:12:25 AM EST

I've never had a factory upper with generic handguards that didn't wiggle. Some more than others, but all had at least a little play. I'd say it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure someone here soon will correct me and say they have a definate .0485 MOA variance of the harmonic vibration that, if unattended, will cause a resonance cascade or something.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:48:45 AM EST
Put a little electrical tape on the lips of the handguards and it will tighten right up. It's not unusual to have a little play in the handguards, even on a Colt.
Top Top