Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:32:24 PM EDT
Howdy all,
  I'm new to the board.  My grandfather gave me a Colt Ar15 SP1 over the holidays, and now I've taken quite an interest in firearms (waiting for my Concealed Handgun License as I type this).  I've got (probably a stupid) question: what is the jag for?  I'm familiar with all the cleaning/maintenance procedures practiced in the Marine Corps, but I've never used one.  What the hell is it for?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The jag is used to push a patch through the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Roger.  So it can be used vice the loop to pull/push a patch through?  Is there any advantage?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the jag type, there are some that are slotted which are the most common, and some that are barbed, the barbed are best for just pushing. The best way to clean it is fo completely remove the upper from the lower, and clean from the chamber out, otherwuse you can push the crap back into the gun, not good. And I know the perpetual wait on the permit, I paied for mine and they said "see you in 2 to 4 months".
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I find that i can get the gun cleaner quicker using a jag than a loop as the patch better matches the bore.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top