Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2002 12:28:03 PM EDT
O.K. ... after a year or two of lurking, buying USGI mags, etc.  I finally got around to purchasing a Bushmaster.  For my first, I went with the A3, 20" config (I'm not much of a carbine guy, but will get an M4-copy later)

Anyway, here are the accessories I have purchased so far:

1.) Smith Compensator
2.) a case of XM193
3.) Sent DOB/License to Ammoman to order some SS109 tomorrow
4.) Bought a Dewey coated rod for .22

Now, what type of cleaning how-to resource should I get?  What type of tools, kit, etc.?

What types of things are must-haves, (i.e. broken case extractor, Accu-Wedge, etc.?)

Fire away.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy ammo, lots and lots of ammo

and a few quarts of CLP

Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
...several cases of ammo-en-route...thanks.

I guess what I need is more info on the cleaning steps, methods, etc.

Has anyone ever purchased one of those "armorer's videos?" and found them useful?

Has someone posted an FAQ on this subject somewhere?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
A range membership if you dont have free place to shoot.

Edited to add
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
...live on 65 acres in upstate NY and belong to a small range nearby with some 100 and maybe 200yd benches.

Eventually, I would like to get together with some other AR-15 shooters in the area as well, maybe go to a match or something, see what that is about.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You dont need no video...

Lower receiver wont need much cleaning ever.  Just keep it brushed out and q-tipped.

Clean the barrel with brush and rod. Make sure to never insert rod at the barrel end.  Always insert though the upper receiver.  This keeps the crown from getting banged.

All I use on mine is CLP.

Clean chamber with the chamber brush.

After you think the rifle is clean try to find areas of carbon and dirt with a dry q-tip.  If you find some pull out the AP brush and the CLP and get bak to scrubbin'.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It's always good to have a spare parts kit handy. As said above more ammo and mags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
This:

http://old.ar15.com/docs/primer/

...is great.  I think I stumbled onto this last year and have been trying to find it.

I'll get the Marine Corps. manual, and a spare parts kit, etc.

What is CLP, and where do I find it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Ammo... massive quantities of it.. keep those USGI mags full and at the ready. Clean religiously and you'll have blast. Definitely use CLP... Firepower FP-10 CLP!

Replenish ammo as needed and repeat..

HTH,

Rick

Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#11]
CLP, bore snake, otis cleaning kit.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I found a issue USGI gallon jug of CLP on the Internet.  Got it for $25 total...  Never been opened.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's another question:

I have 20s and 30s for mags, some black, some metal followers.  Very few green.  Where might I find a how-two on rebuilding and converting to all-green followers, as from what I gather, this is the thing to do?
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Boresnakes and CLP are your friends. Get an icepick and Q-tips to clean with as well. A spare toothbrush as well. Get some spray solvent like carburator cleaner to clean with. It makes things faster.Practice taking off the handguards so you don't screw it up. Get someone knowledgeable to help you if necessary. Don't go in for all the pimp crap. Shoot decent ammo. Have fun.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's another question:

I have 20s and 30s for mags, some black, some metal followers.  Very few green.  Where might I find a how-two on rebuilding and converting to all-green followers, as from what I gather, this is the thing to do?

20's NEVER change the followers - they use a different design than the 30's.  The Alloy followers are the best.

USGI 30s can be upgraded with the green followers (not Thermolds or Orlites).  Instructions should be in the Magazine Forum of this site.

BTW as for what to buy you can check out these articles:
Overview for the person new to AR-15s (including purchasing recommendations)
groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/newtoar15s.msnw

A newbie purchasing checklist
groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/arpurchasingchecklist.msnw

Right now its magazines & ammo.  I prefer the Otis cleaning kit to the Dewey.  Yes - lots of CLP.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here's another question:

Go to the "Magazines" topic here and the first two or three threads will tell you what you nedd to know...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top