Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/31/2004 10:49:35 PM EST
Hey Gang!

Well, I am real pleased with my 1st AR15, except for one thing. The Y-comp that came with it. (Bushmaster). I did a search and found that not many people like the Y-comp. I didn't know any better when I bought the rifle, but after shooting it for the 1st time I was kinda surprised with the concussion blast from it. I guess I was expecting something similar to my 7.62 Russian guns. I wondered about it when I was shopping, and almost wish I got the Bushy with the AK comp on it.

I saw the thread where members have removed their Post Ban Y comps, and replaced them, but the problem I have is the Y comp I have isn't the mini, it's 2" long and mounted on a 14 1/2" barrel. I guess I just have to live with it huh? I could get used to the backward blast, but I stand to become really unpopular with my shooting buddies because of it.

I don't want to have a barrel setup that is too short. Any suggestions? I appreciate the help.

E
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:11:42 AM EST
There are smiths that can remove those, last I heard. Have the barrel threaded after getting it off, and have a vortex or phantom blind pinned on. Problem solved. You'll have to wait till sunset to mate it back up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 12:36:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 1:19:43 AM EST by Atreides]
Thanks for the reply Viper. Will the new brakes make a big difference for this problem? or just a minimal one?

I am not expecting miracles here. I cannot legally own a Supressor where I live, not that I feel I need to with this gun. If it's a matter of getting used to it, I will.

I installed a vortex on my .30 cal Carbine and like it, but it doesn't have the length (1 1/2" - +, maybe the .30 cal one is short) to make my 14 1/2" barrel legal. I think this factor may be the deciding factor on wether I have to live with it or not. Thanks again for you help.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:08:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 1:29:26 AM EST by knightone]

Originally Posted By Atreides:
Thanks for the reply Viper. Will the new brakes make a big difference for this problem? or just a minimal one?

The Phantom and the Vortex are flash suppressors, so they won't give that concussive blast the Y-comp does. Obviously, wait until the ban ends to have these attached.

If you have a local law that bans flash suppressors, then the Cav Comp from Cavalry Arms is a good choice for a muzzle brake, and so is the Izzy brake from Bushmaster. Brakes will still give a louder report than a bare muzzle or a barrel with a flash suppressor, but the Y-comp is the worst of the bunch. MSTN just released a brake in conjunction with PRI that is supposed to be much quiter than your average muzzle brake, so that might be worth a look. I'm not sure of the length of that one, though.

Edited to add that the Vortex for the AR15 is long enough to bring a 14.5" barrel out to 16". So is the phantom FS, the Cav Comp brake, and the Izzy brake. I am sure there are others, but I can't recall off the top of my head what they might be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:17:00 AM EST
Thank you Knight.

Being a newbie I wasn't aware that the AR's had SO MANY choices for everything. I was used to having to deal with whatever came on the gun stock (if anything at all) or simply adding something on.

Thanks for answering my question on the "Blast Factor" of the Y comp. I'm not that concerned with looks as I am function. Knowing the difference of a flash hider & a recoil reducer helps alot.

I appreciate the help.

E
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:57:22 AM EST
The miculek comp is long enough too. Loud as hell, efficient as hell, but legal.
Top Top