Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/19/2006 9:08:48 AM EDT
Howdy,
I'm new to the site here. My grandfather gave me an old Colt AR15 SP1 a few months ago, and I love it. He also gave me a case full of military 5.56mm ammo along with it. The rifle had never been opened/fired until it was in my hands, so I'm positive it's got all it's original parts. I've been reading around here, and I'm unsure about what type of ammo I should be shooting.
The lower receiver is stamed ".223", but I've shot several hundred rounds of that 5.56mm he gave me. The original Colt 5 round mags sucked, so i've been using the Colt 20 round mags he gave me. It failed to chamber rounds the first few times I tried to fire it, but using the 20 round mags seemed to solve that problem. I had a few loading problems with some M196 5.56mm Tracers (mfg. at Lake City Army Ammo Plant) he gave me, also. But so far, I have had only a few problems with the hundreds of rounds I've fired with it. I went to the range with my girlfriend last weekend, and we shot about 100 rounds without a single problem.
So my question is this: is it okay to shoot 5.56 in my Colt SP1? This website has some info that I read saying that it was okay to shoot 5.56 in a Colt AR15: www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#diff

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:23:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 9:24:42 AM EDT by Bushwacker85]
Yes, you can shoot 5.56 in your Colt. As far as the malfunctions go, you might try breaking the whole thing down and give it a good cleaning, plus using good mags and ammo.

ETA Not that the Colt 20 rounder and ammo you are using are bad in any way. Just experiment and see what happens.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:30:46 AM EDT
I'm planning on getting some 30 round mags soon! As far as cleaning, I usually just follow procedures as per USMC SOPs. I just didn't want this old rifle to explode in my face! Thanks for the quick reply.
Top Top