Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2004 1:09:35 PM EDT
How and the Heck does our Soldiers deal with 100 Rifles going off at the same time. I got my AR15 two weeks ago. Today was the first chance I have had to shoot it so I went up to my Moms place. BTW - I Love IT !! I forgot my Hearing Protection so I figured it wouldn't hurt once. My Ears are Ringing very badly. Which brings me back to my original question. In a Wartime situation the Gunfire itself must be Extremely Disorientating (Until you reach Hearing Loss).

Oh Yeah its my 1st gun : Bushmaster XM15-E2S : Colapsable M4 Stock w/ Removable A2 Handle and a NcStar 4x30RE Scope. Wanting a Aimpoint or an EOTech (Maybe Santa will toss one down the Chimney).

Later All - :)

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Never been there but a WWII vet described his experience...

He said that the senses that are not being used become "numb".  He said the most notable was his sense of smell.  He said after a few days you didn't notice the smell of dead bodies and burning vehicles etc.

He also said the same for his hearing.  He really doesn't remember his ears hurting or ringing much.  He's over 90 and really still hears very well.

FWIW
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Only time I ever even noticed it was as a Range coach when I was on the line talking to another coach. FOrgot my ears. Didn't even notice till after the string was over.. G'lawd my ears rang for a good 2days.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Nowdays we have special earplugs...

One side for constant noise and the other to block impulse noise.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad was a Marine in the 60's.. He shoots with NO hearing protection at all.. Unbelieveable.. Pistols, my 11.5" AR.. Not a problem.. And his hearing is fine.. Really.. Jeez, I need hearing protectors to mow the damn lawn!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I've often wondered how soldiers deal with all that close gunfire noise.  I just assumed their helmuts provided some sort hearing protection.

Interesting story:
I always where hearing protection and the shooting range.  The other day I was out in the country  just doing some plinking with my 22's.  Hearing protection for a 22 is pointelss so I wasn`t wearing any.  I decided to shoot the AR a little so I slapped a mag in and commenced target destruction.  30 rounds later when the bolt locked back it dawned on me that I wasn`t wearing plugs.  No pain or ringing.   I was quite surprised.  I must say though that this was the first time shooting my AR without a mini Y on the front.  So I know that drastically cut down on the noise to me and people next to me.  So, to me anyway a non-braked AR is bearable but I still wouldn`t want to go hundreds of rouns without protection
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Foam earplugs are generally more effective than muffs.  The best muffs are about 24-25 db reduction.  Most foam earplugs are 31-33 db reduction.  That extra 6 to 9 db reduction is considerable.

Buy ear plugs (or muffs), shooting glasses, some spares of each for guests (I keep a wad of foam plugs and three sets of muffs in my bag, and half a doz sets of glasses) in your shooting bag, along with stapler, spare staples, markers, etc.

DO use this equipment.  Don't let anyone tell you, "oh, you'll get used to it."  No, you'll get deaf, not used to it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top