Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2011 11:44:46 AM EDT
I just received my new DPMS LR-308 with the 24" stainless barrell. I have read forums where people talk about their new rifles coming with break in procedures just as my armalite ar-10A2 did. My new (new in opened case) DPMS did not.    However my AR-10A2 was a match grade barrel.

Should I go through the break in procedure anyway, or does DPMS take care of that before shipping out their rifles?  Is it not necisary? Ect...
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is the recommended break-in procedure posted on their website:

"Barrel Information
To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every 10 rounds up to the 100 rounds. It usually takes about 200 rounds per barrel for optimum accuracy. Please keep in mind that our barrels are production barrels not custom barrels. Accuracy is dependant upon many factors such as bullet weight, powder load, rifling twist, rifling lands, operator technique, etc. Our production barrels have achieved anywhere from 1/8" to 1 ½" M.O.A. Obviously, we would hope that every production barrel would shoot 1/8" M.O.A., but with all of the above factors, we cannot guarantee a specific group size."
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just received my new DPMS LR-308 with the 24" stainless barrell. I have read forums where people talk about their new rifles coming with break in procedures just as my armalite ar-10A2 did. My new (new in opened case) DPMS did not.    However my AR-10A2 was a match grade barrel.

Should I go through the break in procedure anyway, or does DPMS take care of that before shipping out their rifles?  Is it not necisary? Ect...

Shoot it. Keep it clean. No need for "break in".
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot it. Keep it clean. No need for "break in".

I agree.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Very controversial topic with smart guys on both sides.  On a related note, IMHO it takes too long (and unpredictably so) for a barrel to "settle in" after a thorough cleaning, so I reserve that for when I feel like it.  I do run a patch through new barrels but don't worry about "break in" anymore.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top