Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2004 2:22:32 PM EDT
Yesterday I took my brand new Bushmaster XM15-E2S-A2. ( 14.5" M4 barrel w/ Izzy FH, A2 carry handle/sites, telescoping stock, "no ban").

I fired the first shot and then realized the trigger did not reset. I looked in the receiver and the spent casing and the new round the bolt stripped off the mag are trying to occupy the same space. I dropped the mag and pulled the charging handle back. The empty casing and a fresh round fall out. Insert mag and start over.

Next pull of the trigger....same thing. I grab a different mag, same thing. Repeat and repeat.

I am no AR expert but I have owned a Colt Match Target (20" A2 ban era) for 9yrs now. So I do know how to clean an AR and keep it maintained. So far, I have never had a problem with the Colt.

Okay, here is what I did and observed while troubleshooting.

To start, I had two makes of ammo. AE .233 and Malaysian 5.56 NATO. The Malaysian is '80's era but I never had trouble with it in the Colt. Except for one dud round.

I use a mixed set of mags, Colt 20 rounders, 30 round new Labelles, DPMS, and US made Thermolds.

I took the rifle home and cleaned it again. I checked the gas key, looked for burrs, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Everything looks right. No obvious issues.

I took the Bushmaster and the Colt out again today. I started with single shots to see if the bolt would lock back. It did, but the spent casing is still in the receiver. Load another single, same thing.

So now I do some parts swapping. I took the entire bolt and bolt carrier from the Colt and installed it the Bushy. Now the Bushy is running like a charm. Ran through two 20's no sweat. Brass is landing to my side at about 3 o'clock so the Bushy is throwing it slightly rearward. Seems to be landing about 4 to 5 ft away.

Next step, I use only the colt extractor with all the bushy parts. No go, spent case does not leave the receiver.

Next step, I use the colt bolt with the bushmaster carrier. No go, case is still in the receiver.

Next step, this was something I had to try. I put the entire Bushy bolt and carrier in the Colt. Guess what happens? The Colt is working. Brass is going slight rearward. Ran through 2 30's.

I put all the parts back to their respective rifles. Colt is working. Bushmaster is still not getting rid of the brass.

I did not try the Colt bolt carrier only in the Bushmaster. I was running low on ammo. Since the Colt bolt did not work by itself, I have a feeling the problem is pointing to the bushy carrier. Even though it works in the colt. Not to mention I can't think why the carrier would prevent the brass from bring ejected.

I am curious what you guys think about this. Bushmaster's bolt and carrier works in the Colt but not the Bushmaster. Colt's works in both.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. Unless a there is a very simple solution to this (other then keeping the bolt/carrier swapped out) I am going to contact Bushmaster and send the rifle back for service. I really hate to do that but I guess it has to be done. Plus, there is a slight cant to the front sight.  I was also working on trying to get a rough mechanical zero while troubleshooting. I had to move the  windage 4 clicks to the right which is one mark on the receiver. I could live with this but if I have to send the rifle in I may as well get that looked at too.

This is my first Bushmaster and I am somewhat disappointed. I have heard nothing but good things about them. Word of mouth/internet is why I bought one. I will however, give Bushmaster a chance to correct this and will hold any judgment until I see how this works out.

If no one has an answer for this issue then I will let you all know how this works out with Bushmaster.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. I will not be able to reply to any questions later today since my wife and I are going out. I will be able to check this post sometime tomorrow and answer any questions.
Link Posted: 11/27/2004 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am going to contact Bushmaster and send the rifle back for service.  

Best plan I have read all day.
Also, if your good, have them issue a Fed EX call tag so you don't have to pay for the rifle to be shipped to them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2004 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Dano523,
Thanks for the heads up on the FedEx tag.

I was so hoping there was an easy/cheap fix to this. I would have spent a few dollars to make it run rather than send it back. But..I know it needs to go back.

I guess I can't complain too much. After all these years this is the first firearm I ever had to return to the manufacturer.

Such is luck of the draw. It had to happen sooner or later.

Thanks again
Rexrider
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was so hoping there was an easy/cheap fix to this.

Every rifle problem is nothing more than a quick correction/replacement  of defective parts or something that needing to be fitted.

The fact is that you bought a Bushmaster, and part of that price was the warranty.  
Since you had to pay for it, you may was well use it.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2004 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the same problem after  500 rnds.
The springpin was not fully exteneding out to the end of the bolt.
I ended disassembling the the spring pin and foung a bunch of brass bits impeading the spring pin  from fully extending.
I removed the rollpin with a 1/16" punch and had to work the springpin  in and out  a bunch to free it.
Reassembled all and ran 200 rnds through no more brass bits. No more faliure to eject.
Local range owner said I had too much oil on the bolt face or it  is/was just new and needed to be worked.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#5]
1. Return Bushmaster for refund
2. Purchase Colt instead
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had the same problem after  500 rnds.
The springpin was not fully exteneding out to the end of the bolt.
I ended disassembling the the spring pin and foung a bunch of brass bits impeading the spring pin  from fully extending.
I removed the rollpin with a 1/16" punch and had to work the springpin  in and out  a bunch to free it.
Reassembled all and ran 200 rnds through no more brass bits. No more faliure to eject.
Local range owner said I had too much oil on the bolt face or it  is/was just new and needed to be worked.

Steve

I had a FTF problem at the beginning of my first shoot with my new Bushmaster.  It went away after about 8 mags, but I am still looking for what the problem could have been.

I am going to check out what you said on my rifle, but what is a spring pin?  The firing pin?
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
2. Purchase Colt instead

I was waiting for that hink
The weird part is the Bushmaster bolt and carrier worked just fine in my Colt. The Colt bolt and carrier worked fine in the Bushmaster. Go figure.

Because of work I have not been able to contact Bushmaster yet. That will happpen tomorrow. I am still going to give them a change to make this right.

Thanks for the replys
Rexrider
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Update...

The rifle is on the way back to Bushmaster. The shop were I bought the rifle has an in-house gunsmith. They offered to have him look at it and try it out (at no cost). The gunsmith ended up with the same result. He did confirm the extrator and ejector were just fine. He did find some kind of defect in the upper itself and he thinks that may be causing the problem. I don't have the details on the defect because the info was relayed to me by another person at the shop.

So off it goes. I hope it has a speedy return.
Link Posted: 12/6/2004 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Interested in the diagnosis.  My amature diagnosis is that the Bushie camber is too tight and this is jamming up the works, so to speak.  The Colt bolt group may have more play than the Bushie, which is why it is working in both rifles.

Your Colt chamber is probably more loose, so the Bushie bolt group works in that rifle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Update!

I received my rifle on Jan 5th. The only work that was done as noted on the shipping lable was

1. Sealed gas system.
2. Polished feed ramps.

Nothing about any flaw in the receiver. For the life of me, I can't find anything when comparing it to the Colt.

I cleaned it up and took it out on Friday the 7th. Good news, it works. Not one hiccup. I put 300 rds through it. From slow aimed fire to dumping 30 rounders as fast as I could. It works as advertised.

One question on ejection. The brass is landing at about my 2 o'clock position. I am used to seeing it land at 3 o'clock or just behind me. Ejection was very consistent, the brass was just about landing in the same spot.  I though I read somewhere that it is not a good thing when the brass goes forward rather than to side or slightly behind. Ammo used was plain AE .223. Is this a concern or should I just go and have fun?

Anyway, I am much happer than I was before. I would have preferred it worked out of the box but I understand sometimes it is luck of the draw.  Bushmaster came through (pending any issue with the way it is ejecting hanksRexrider
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#12]
sounds like they did work on the front sight tower, was not getting enuff gas back to the bolt ?  i had a rifle with someting like that  a little work on the gas port on the front everthing is working fine   good luck
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
2. Purchase Rock River Arms instead

fixed
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm working on the same issues right now.  My brand new Bushy is at Bushy.  Windage/elevation issues and the same eject/feed problem you had.  It's been gone for neerly 3 wks.  hope to see it soon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:08:10 AM EDT
[#15]
PP914,
It took a month to get my rifle back. But keep in mind that was over the holidays and that includes shipping time to and from Bushmaster.

My front sight post did have a slight cant to it. I had to set the windage to the right by one mark on the receiver.

When i got the rifle back, the windage was set to the right by half a mark. The windage was dead on when I took it out to test it. From this I concluded they did work with the FSP and were kind enough to re-zero the windage for me. They also restaked the gas key. The staking is much deeper than before it was sent back.

All I can tell you is the rifle works now. As I said, I was very disappointed to have a rifle fail out of the box. But...it can happen with any manufacturer. I should have bought a lottery ticket the day I bought the rifle.

Also, when I called to check on the status of the rifle, they gave me accurate time estimates.  I only called twice. The second time the rifle had already been shipped out.

Had I had problems after they worked on it I would be done with them. But they did what needed to be done and all is well again. I would not have any problems buying from them again.

Good luck.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top