Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2005 2:18:06 AM EDT
Well i got her on saturday at the gun show here in Rochester, NY.
I have put about 100 rounds through it so far.  Loving it!http://www.rocstarz.com/albums/tim/afq.sized.jpg
http://www.rocstarz.com/albums/tim/afr.sized.jpg

any tips for a new user
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent looking rifle and range! I love simple looking AR-15's. You get tired of seeing $3K worth of stuff hanging off AR's around here sometimes, and it's nice to see stock ones.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:20:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
any tips for a new user

Always wear eye protection when shooting. And get your nose a little closer to the charging handle. You'll get a better sight picture.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
When you take the bolt out of carrier to clean make sure when putting back togeather that the 3 gas ring are not all lined up. The gas rings have to be off set from one another. If all 3 of the opening of the gas rings are in a line you will start to hace cycle problems,
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Shoot it.  When you're done shooting it, shoot it some more.  Repeat as necessary.  Don't get discouraged if your not getting the type of groups you read about here right away.  With practice it will come.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When you take the bolt out of carrier to clean make sure when putting back togeather that the 3 gas ring are not all lined up. The gas rings have to be off set from one another. If all 3 of the opening of the gas rings are in a line you will start to hace cycle problems,

That myth is BS, pure and simple.... Lets try and start out the new guy with real facts...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=217741

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That myth is BS, pure and simple.... Lets try and start out the new guy with real facts...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=217741

+1 have fun with it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
any tips for a new user

Always wear eye protection when shooting. And get your nose a little closer to the charging handle. You'll get a better sight picture.

+1 on getting that nose up to the charging handle.   That's the first thing I noticed.  Enjoy that AR and say goodbuy to your money.  You'll soon either need another or tons of "stuff" for the one you have.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle!

Dave
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:55:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Nice rifle for your first of many to come

Have you read this yet? www.ammo-oracle.com

If not, do it. If so, read it again!

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]
shoot the living crap out of it!!!!

oh as for tips read as many threads you can here and dont forget about the tacked threads
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Excellent looking rifle and range! I love simple looking AR-15's. You get tired of seeing $3K worth of stuff hanging off AR's around here sometimes, and it's nice to see stock ones.

You mean like this one? (Not mine BTW)

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#12]
jeez, how much does that rifle weigh?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:13:21 AM EDT
[#14]
thanx for the replys and info guys...hat
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#15]
WELCOME to the site
nice AR

use USGI mags and good ammo for best results
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice looking rifle!  Is that Creekside Gunshop by any chance?  Man I spent some time at that free range behind the gun shop when I lived there 12 years ago.  They had lots of ARs, FALs, HKs, AKs and surplus ammo up the whazoo! Man, the good old days... College was the best....
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#17]
+1 on the eye protection
+1 on shooting it lots and lots and lots and lots.......

Lining up the 3 rings is a MYTH, pure and simple.  

And by the way, have fun and welcome
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#18]
How can you shoot that thing without ear protection. These guns are very loud.

Man I love the looks of A2's...I am going to have to get one eventually. Flat tops are just so damn easy to mount optics on tho...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Man I love the looks of A2's...I am going to have to get one eventually. Flat tops are just so damn easy to mount optics on tho...

zoom in on my ear that is at Bergen Rod & Gun Club actually...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
any tips for a new user

+1, when you hold the rifle, put your nose close the charging handle. It also helps to keep the same sight picture when your using different shooting positions.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#21]

There was a show in Rochester Saturday?

Dammit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#22]
LOL, that's rediculous!!!  oops meant to put that loaded AR from above...can't figure out how...hmmm
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome Aboard

Congrats on the New AR
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Welcome to the site and congrats on your purchase!

The only thing that I would comment on is your arm. Raise your right arm/elbow up higher to create a better pocker in your shoulder. This will keep the rifle more secure for those heavy volley's of rapid fire
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Good looking basic carbine.

I would start out by making sure I knew how to field strip the weapon.  After doing it a bunch of times, you will be more familiar with its operation, and its workings.  

While there is a lot of good info on this site, there are also a lot of armchair commandos who spout things they have heard from other people with no direct knowledge of what they speak.  

The military manual is a good place to start, and is available free from a couple of places.

www.biggerhammer.net is a good place for manuals.  Here is a link to basic operation, fieldstripping and care of your weapon.  While it is showing a rifle version, you should find things the same for the carbine.

LOGIN- manuals    PASSWORD- chipin
www.subguns.com/biggerhammer/manuals/pdfs/M16a1ops.pdf

You may also want to take a look at chapters 4 & 5 in the USMC Rifle Marksmanship bookfound at the below link, also hosted by bigerhammer.net.  The info in this guide should answer most of your questions.  The USMC does a fine job of turning shooters into riflemen.

www.subguns.com/biggerhammer/manuals/pdfs/usmc_marksmanship/3-1acd.pdf

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Your stock looks too long. shorten it up it will help in 2 ways. It will get your nose closer to the charging handle for a better sight picture and it will bring your left forearm in. The more your left arm is extended you more unstable you will be and the sooner you will get tired. Try to let your bones support the weight of the rife not your muscles. try to get your forearm as close to perpindicular to the ground as is comfortable for you. And lean into it. you almost look like you have your weight back a little bit.  Have fun.. !
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Here is my tip:

Keep it stock or go all out with the best you can buy.

From MY experience, products that are not the top of the chain and usually most expensive and worse then the origanal stuff.  Go buy a back up iron site, A3 flop top, and an Aimpoint.  Then leave it alone.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice gun. I hope its pre-ban. I was reading on the Hometown forum about some one at that gun show selling "New pre-Ban" rifles.  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=190355&page=2
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Alright for fixed handles!!  I don't know why, but for some reason, those angles and visuals created by a fixed handle just look sexier and more tactical even than an ACOG.  And they never break!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#30]
looks like a cold miserable place to shoot :-(  Spring will arrive soon enough!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
looks like a cold miserable place to shoot :-(  Spring will arrive soon enough!

i hate winter...
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

He's got plugs in.  And that's an A1 upper btw.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Damn I am always wrong. Guess I should have looked harder before I started running my mouth (well fingers) again.

Winter hasn't been so bad this year. It is Jan 12th and it is 77 degrees in WV. I have a feeling something badddd is going to happen. It should be like 5-10 degrees right now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Welcome to the sickness, I just got my first AR not to long ago (colt preban) and already have some goodies comming for it , as well as looking at an HBAR tonight and possibly one from a sight member. Is a disease with no cure.

Congrats !!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top