Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 10:38:42 AM EDT
Well, Steve did it again.  Ran flawless from the start.  AR details (won't be as long as most of yours because it's pretty simple at this point)

RRA lower with NM 2 stage trigger
Match carbine upper from ADCO
WOA reciever, bolt and carrier
1/8 Wilson SS barrel with Wylde chamber and FSB
DD 7.0 M4 rail
RRA detachable A2 carry handle
and olive drab sling I got with my Garand from the CMP a year ago

I figured what better way to break in a new AR than 80 rounds of XM193 I had laying around.  So I loaded up 3 mags last night.  Sanchez, Okay, and D&H.

I zerod it at 25 yards with the small aperture and I used the XM193 for my front sight tool, recommended by markm and someone else.  After doing it, I'd say it's an acceptable way and I'm glad I didn't buy a tool for $6 plus shipping or whatever it is.

My impressions of the carbine gas system we're pleasant.  I  don't think the recoil was any more noticeable than my colt 20" AR.  And Xm193 is probably the hottest ammo I've shot.  And the recoil was not "brutal" in comparison like somebody mentioned.  In fact, it didn't seem any different and if I'm remembering correctly, it felt even less than when I shot Hornady 75 grainers through the 20".  I was just using irons and this is what I shot from the bench:

2 of those groups were with the small aperture and 1 was with the large.  My goal is to learn how to shoot the large aperture fairly well, but I'm finding that difficult.  The weird thing was when I was using the small aperture the target was more clear.  When I used the large aperture at 50 yards, focusing on that small of a target was nearly impossible for me.  The black got so blurred I could barely see it.  But it wasn't like that with the small one.  Weird.  It may be different if you're shooting at a larger target but when I used the large aperture that dang target blurred really bad.  I must be getting old.  In fact, it even seemed harder to focus on the front sight too with the large ap.  Anyone ever have this problem?  Well enough about that.  

This thing shot nice.  No jams, failures of any kind and the brass all went in a similar spot.  I'm going to put a scope on it to test some ammo tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be happy.  Steve builds really nice uppers, which alot of you already know that.  Oh, and that 2 stage NM trigger is very, very, very nice.  It feels like half the weight of the old colt single stage.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Who was complaining about brutal recoil from any 223 /5.56? sheesh

nice looking rig by the way
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Who was complaining about brutal recoil from any 223 /5.56? sheesh

nice looking rig by the way

Well, that's not quite how it went.  It was one of those threads about carbine vs midlength gas system, and somebody said his carbine was "brutal in comparison".  And he did use the word "brutal".  Now, maybe it was for him, this one has a heavy profile, but to me it seemed like he was just trying to prove the point about how the midlength is so much better.  I bought the carbine because I wanted to.  And despite the fact that the midlenght is superior, this is what I wanted.  So now I'm justifying my thinking..  But seriously, it doesn't seem any harder than my other AR which is a Rifle gas system.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 And the recoil was not "brutal" in comparison like somebody mentioned.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]

2 of those groups were with the small aperture and 1 was with the large. My goal is to learn how to shoot the large aperture fairly well, but I'm finding that difficult. The weird thing was when I was using the small aperture the target was more clear. When I used the large aperture at 50 yards, focusing on that small of a target was nearly impossible for me. The black got so blurred I could barely see it. But it wasn't like that with the small one. Weird. It may be different if you're shooting at a larger target but when I used the large aperture that dang target blurred really bad. I must be getting old.  In fact, it even seemed harder to focus on the front sight too with the large gap. Anyone ever have this problem? Well enough about that

The small aperature functions more like a pinhole lens.  The sight picture will be very sharp as long as there is enough light.  You will never see a sharp front post through the large rear apeture for the rest of your life - Unless you get glasses with the correct lens.

I went through the same thing eight years ago.  Now it is optics until the day I croak.
Welcome to the old guys club.
The fancy name for what is happening to your eyes is presbyopia.

lawndart

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

2 of those groups were with the small aperture and 1 was with the large. My goal is to learn how to shoot the large aperture fairly well, but I'm finding that difficult. The weird thing was when I was using the small aperture the target was more clear. When I used the large aperture at 50 yards, focusing on that small of a target was nearly impossible for me. The black got so blurred I could barely see it. But it wasn't like that with the small one. Weird. It may be different if you're shooting at a larger target but when I used the large aperture that dang target blurred really bad. I must be getting old.  In fact, it even seemed harder to focus on the front sight too with the large gap. Anyone ever have this problem? Well enough about that

The small aperature functions more like a pinhole lens.  The sight picture will be very sharp as long as there is enough light.  You will never see a sharp front post through the large rear apeture for the rest of your life - Unless you get glasses with the correct lens.

I went through the same thing eight years ago.  Now it is optics until the day I croak.
Welcome to the old guys club.
The fancy name for what is happening to your eyes is presbyopia.

lawndart

That's depressing.  I'm only 34.  But I've been wearing glasses since about 26.  Do you use red dots or magnified optics?  I'd really like a compact acog or something like that but daaaaang, they're expensive.  I might have to save my pennies!!!!!  

That brings me to something else, I was looking through a trijicon reflex at the gun store the other day and I swear  if I had both my eyes open, somtimes I'd see that dang thing double.  Like right next to one another but not sharp.  And I'd have to look twice.  That probably wouldn't be good if that was happening all the time.

On anothe note.  I was testing my AR looking out the window today and the large aperture works but if I'm focusing on something small, it does indeed get a little blurry.  Sucks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#6]
JJREA,

I'm glad to read all this on a positive note, Nice looking rig and the most important thing is it works well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top