Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2017 11:46:46 PM EDT
I attempted to shoot the new build today, only loaded one round in mag per try. When it fires the bolt will lock back and the round remains as pictured below. It is removing the round from the chamber and it is not short stroking.

Upper Specs
PSA AR15 .223/5.56 Nitride/QPQ Bolt Carrier Group
MAS Defense Upper 10.5" 5.56 1x9 4150V M4 Melonite Nitride with Flash Can

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe stuck ejector or weak or broken ejector spring.  Extractor is obviously holding on, so....  It needs that push to fling it out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Is it a pistol or an SBR?

2. Have you tried firing it with a full magazine?

3. Have you checked the ejector spring pressure?

4. Was it shouldered when you fired it or free hand?

These are legit questions.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:09:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I put another BCG in and the gun functioned normally. So should I send the PSA BCG back or try to remedy the problem myself?
@ishoot2live

1. Is it a pistol or an SBR?
Pistol
2. Have you tried firing it with a full magazine?
No
3. Have you checked the ejector spring pressure?
Seems very firm, just like others I tried.
4. Was it shouldered when you fired it or free hand?
I pled the fifth.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You could try taking the bolt from the PSA BCG and putting it in the other Bolt Carrier that works.

If it still fails it might be the bolt from PSA (no offense to PSA, shit happens).

Also check the Carrier Key and make sure there are no obstructions or movement.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Pic #1 is all you need. The ejector is not kicking the empty case out of the bolt face. Strip it apart and see what's going on with the spring. Given the likelihood of the simple stuff causing the most problems, check for a broken spring, or dirt or grit holding things up.

With what you're seeing, I would never try to blame ammo or magazines. I'm assuming it's exactly the same every time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:25:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Try a new MAG
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:27:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Fill a new mag bro
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Take your bolt out turn you cam pin around, which shouldn't matter but try it
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:32:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with taking the bolt out of the functioning bcg, and trying it in the one that isn't functioning.  It could be an issue with the ejector, or it could also not be the correct bolt.  I bought a bcg/bolt at a gun show and had the same problem... It ended up that the bolt was actually a 7.62x39 bolt.  You can test that by just taking a spent 223 case and putting it into the bolt face to see how it fits and if there is pressure against it from the ejector.  I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Try different ammo
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you put some different ammo in a new mag??????
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Try that. I have certain ammo that would blow and stick
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:40:36 AM EDT
[#13]
PSA  isn't perfect but I have always had great luck with them
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Hope you get it strait
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Are you rolling ????
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Easy, this isn't a live chat.

Also, it's dark. I don't think he's running out into the dark to see how his gun cycles.

Just make semi-concise posts with all the info and comments you'd like to offer and check back from time to time. Subscribe to the thread if it interests you specifically.

I'll agree with you on the 'changing ammo' bit. Usually rule #1 when troubleshooting. But if it's like xm855 or xm193, then I'd agree to just start looking at the gun.

I'd wonder if the bolt face area was machined wide enough. Bolt is the second thing I'd check.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions.

Ammo is American Eagle 223 55gr. I'm going to change out the ejector parts before I send it back and see what that does. I will have different mags and ammo Monday, but I won't be able to make it to the range until next weekend.

I will update as soon as I am able to get the replacement parts in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting, I'd bet money it's the ejector. I had an issue with an ejector being too long that wouldn't let her he extractor grab the round and wouldn't feed properly. Very intriguing to see the other end of the spectrum of the ejector problem.

OP. Have you tried recreating this with snap caps?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#19]
pull the bcg out pop a spent round in the end and flic it you will see the problem almost immediately either the ejector/spring is binding or the bolt face is the wrong diameter
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#20]
After seeing the Troubleshooting Forum Moderator lay it out it is amazing what all can be wrong with an extractor.
Ejectors have a fair amount of spring tension so I would expect any problem there to be obvious.
You should be able to hook the rim of a case under the extractor then compress the ejector and upon release the case should flip out of the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:39:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I have the bolt ejector disassembly tool and have been unsuccessful at getting the roll pin out. I'm guessing this may have to do with why it is not functioning correctly.
I have emailed PSA and they are going to let me send it in for them to repair or replace.

ETA
After all the beating on it, it will eject a .233 snap cap every once in a while.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#22]
It could also be a ridge causing the case to remain in the bolt.  A ridge , along with the sideways pressure of the extractor, may keep the case from being ejected.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top