Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/21/2008 8:32:57 AM EST
This modified grease gun magazine was for sale from the J & S Gun Parts table for $79.99 (or 95, I don't precisely remember). J & S from Olympis is closely tied in with Olympic Arms.

The magazine was constructed from a GG mag which had the following modifications: The three sided upper wrap of sheet metal was removed, the magazine lips were cut off, the magazine body was swaged with two creases on each side, running in the same direction as the long axis of the magazine, this to narrow the body of the magazine to allow it to fit into an AR mag well. An Olympic type mag catch box was welded onto the back of the magazine and new feed lips were welded on to the top of the magazine. Although it was hard to get a really good look, it looked like the follower was narrowed in the middle.

Naturally, they said that it ran great in testing.

They had three or four on the table. I didn't buy one, as I use the Cav. Arms system with unmodified GG magazines.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 10:50:03 AM EST
Are these the two really big fat guys that sell every AR piece except the lower?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 1:42:01 PM EST
Both gentlemen are of a stouter persuasion. They have a banner up with the J & S gun parts name and only sell AR15 stuff. They seem to be very closely tied in with Olympic.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:10:25 PM EST
I'm pretty sure these are the guys I bought my Oly .45 pistol upper from. They sold it to me without a magazine and knocked off $40 becuase they couldn't find it. The "stouter" of the two even went outside to see if it was "under the seat of the van". No luck. Two weeks later i found one at another gun show and paid $50 for it. The guy I bought it from told me he could get lots of them from Oly and that he could get the 16 rounders, too. I caught up to him a few gun shows later and he wouldn't sell me another 10 rounder for less than $80 and said that the 16 rounders from Oly were a thing of the past. I'll check them (J&S) out this weekend in Portland and see what they've got. I've got a friend who's a hell of a welder/machinist and if he can replicate what they've done, I've got a lot of donor mags.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 2:27:52 PM EST
for the price of 6 mags you could get a AR45 or cav arms lower.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:43:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2008 6:38:58 PM EST by Redtazdog]
I have 7 of those Grease gun mags with a block welded to them, they work great
Jay from Dalphon in Shelton WA made them and sold the last of them to J&S
I was in Wa and at the Puyallup show myself. picked up a Olympic
45acp upper for my new AR 45 lower while i was there and it came with 1 of those mags..
I olso have the same jig that dalphon had to make those mags.
He would take the outer skin of the top of the mag and put the mag in the jig
in a 10 ton press and form it to the right size to fit the AR magwell.
the feed lips are still left on and then weld on the block.
I got 6 of my mags from Dalphon at a gun show in Reno NV back in the mid 90"s
Then i got the jig after he got shut down by ATF.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 5:32:55 AM EST
That's the mag I saw all right. Apparently not new, but rather some remaining old stock. With all the damand for .45 cal. AR mags, I wonder why they haven't been brought out before.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 6:05:10 AM EST
I wish C-Products would copy the .41 UZi mag or make a new mag that would work without modification.

Link Posted: 1/23/2008 6:10:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By Counselor:
That's the mag I saw all right. Apparently not new, but rather some remaining old stock. With all the damand for .45 cal. AR mags, I wonder why they haven't been brought out before.

I wonder how difficult it would be for BDM to modify the molds for his .22lr mag to make .45acp or 9mm mags?
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 7:18:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By JPN:

Originally Posted By Counselor:

I wonder how difficult it would be for BDM to modify the molds for his .22lr mag to make .45acp or 9mm mags?

Now that's an interesting idea!

I have played with a "retired" simunitions upper receiver, and it had clear plastic mags shaped like AR mags but accepted the short 9mm sim round.

Of course, this would only work in the Oly pattern uppers because of the ejector being a part of the upper receiver as opposed to the mag adapter on the Colt/RRA pattern uppers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:11:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By Onslaught:

Originally Posted By JPN:

Now that's an interesting idea!

I have played with a "retired" simunitions upper receiver, and it had clear plastic mags shaped like AR mags but accepted the short 9mm sim round.

Of course, this would only work in the Oly pattern uppers because of the ejector being a part of the upper receiver as opposed to the mag adapter on the Colt/RRA pattern uppers.

Or with gas operated uppers (since the ejector is in the bolt).

I don't recall ever seeing a colt system upper in .45acp, so the ejector would only be an issue if a 9mm mag was considered. Since there's already cheap options for 9mm mags, making a new .45acp mag (that works with a standard AR lower) would make more sense, from a marketing view.
Top Top