Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2004 2:54:41 PM EDT
Hi all:

I've been reading the topics on here for a while, mainly due to my interest in owning an AR. I finally obtained one.have Look foreward to the info and getting started !!

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello ,Welcome, and be ready to go broke. Congrates on the new gun. It is ok I seen some problems with them here but not many. All guns can have problems. tack driving U need some good ammo, not surplus. A good rest helps for tack driving. Well have fun with it
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What model Oly is it, and what are the barrel specs?

16", 20", 24"?

1x7, 1x8, 1x9, 1x10?

Check the underside of the barrel for the stamped markings.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the welcomhat )

I can definately understand the cheap ammo not being worthy of consistant desired accuracy, but would I fair better reloading my own ( I reload my 30-378, 7MM, and some others), or is there a quality factory load to be had?

M4-TUNA:  My wife will LOVE to hear that there's another "toy" that'll be costing endless amounts
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome and read the tacked threads in the AR Discussion forum.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]
WELCOME!
Whats your location in AZ? Go to the Hometown forums and read the AZ/NM sections. You'll meet lots of good people and find more hands on help than you could have ever imagined. Plus, we're getting ready to party on the 14th. You need to come.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to the boards, and the addiction of the black rifle. Enjoy your olympic rifle. Alot of people complain about them, but it's just like everything else. Some people like em, other's dont. Some people like ford's, others like chevy's. What matters if you like it, since it's your gun. (I am building up an olympic lower myself.) Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome aboard!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome to the board.

What makes a tack driver?

The single most important factor in determining accuracy is the nut squeezing the trigger.  I've shooting competitively for about five years now.  Plenty of times I've seen rich guys dump thousands of dollars into their equipment, only to get their butts whupped by guys with stock barrels, minimal modifications, and modest spotting scopes.

So, my advice is to get some quality ammo and go shoot!  Once you feel comfortable with your new toy, THEN start talking about modifications.

EDITED TO ADD:
OK. OK.  As far as modifications go, the first thing I would consider is the trigger.  Is it good?  (If it's still stock, the answer is probably no.)  Consider having it worked on or replaced.

Everything after that depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

Speaking of which, what DO you want to do with it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:19:14 AM EDT
[#11]
FWIW, I have had great results in my 1x9 with 62 gr Winchester, and another member  has reported satisfaction with Federal American Eagle 62 gr as well. It's my "poor man's match round".
While not "match grade" ammo, neither will strain your wallet, only a little more expensive than 55 gr, but a better ballistic coefficient than 55 gr.

Of course, match ammo is another story, but also more cost.

Welcome to the Forum, and enjoy your new AR!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Might as well just go get an AR in varmint set up, it's just one more of the many you will end up owning.
Welcome aboard smerky3, another Zonie to boost our numbers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top