Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 2:40:24 AM EDT
Negative effects of shooting a 55gr out of a 1/7" twist? Are there any?

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:27:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It's costs you lots of money!

Seriously, there are no negative effects.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:32:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's costs you lots of money!

Seriously, there are no negative effects.

+1

Theoreticly, this will make your bullet travel faster, so you will end up shooting your ammo up quicker, so you will need to buy more ammo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#3]
wear out your barrel a little faster... heard some people have problems with 55gr bullets at 300+... some have no problems...

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll be O.K. no problems with 55gr in a 1/7 at all.

jar3ds, I've never heard of anyone having problems at 300 and up with 55gr. Matter of fact, after returning from a Med cruise in early '85 we were issued brand new A2's as the Corps was just starting to field them during that time frame. The first time we went to the range to qualify with them we had to use 55gr ammo as there wasn't any 62gr/green tip in the system yet. Or at least none they were willing to issue for qualification. Anyway, we shot the normal KD course without issues, even at the 500. When I took my turn in the butts pulling targets, the 55gr put nice round holes in the targets with no signs of key holing regardless of distance.

Semper Fi,

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
wear out your barrel a little faster... heard some people have problems with 55gr bullets at 300+... some have no problems...

I'm stiil trying to figure out in my mind how a faster twist would cause your barrel to wear out faster.  I just can't get there from what I know.  Please help me figure this out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Barrel wear is BS  - look at the US M16A2 acceptance trials.

Shooting 55gr 300m+, wind in a much bigger issue than the 62 and heavier stuff.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
From the Bushmaster web site,

Gov't. M16's can show throat erosion after as little as 2,500 rounds. However, that is with the lighter Gov't. profile barrel and always under full auto conditions. Under semi-auto conditions, those barrels will typically go 5 to 7 thousand rounds before breaking down badly enough to warrant replacement. Many times, a Gov't. barrel with 1 or 2 thousand rounds will be replaced as inaccurate, when what it really needs is to have the copper fouling removed from the bore. This is a tedious job, but the reward is a "like-new" barrel. This refers only to chrome lined barrels like ours or Colt's. Mil spec. SS109 ammo will not measurably increase barrel wear under semi-auto fire and our mil. spec. (chrome lined) barrel will outlast any sporting rifle barrel - period. More barrels are ruined from over cleaning - or careless cleaning - than are ever "shot out". Chrome lined barrels really only need to be detail cleaned when the groups start to suffer. Otherwise, a little powder solvent (or "Break Free" with CLP), and a few passes with a brush, clean the chamber well, dry everything off and apply a very light coat of "Break Free" or "Rem-Oil" and put it away. We have had barrels here go 20,000 rounds and still be within mil. spec. when treated this way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm stiil trying to figure out in my mind how a faster twist would cause your barrel to wear out faster.  I just can't get there from what I know.  Please help me figure this out.

I was just about to say, "Because the Bushmaster website said so."   Some people believe everything they see on a commercial website.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top