Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 3:10:51 PM EDT
I need a spotting scope to help me to view the target out at 100 yards. The 5.56 bullets punch small holes. I need a quality scope (< $300). From my research, I've narrowed down to

1. Leupold Wind River Sequoia 15-45x60 angled ($229)
2.Burris 20-60x80 Landmark Series Spotter with Hard Case ($219)
3. Bushnell Spacemaster 15-45x60 ($280).

I'd like to hear your opinions. Especially, you have used one of those above.

thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I have two spotting scopes: a bushnell xtra wide spacemaster and a kowa 821.  If the light is right, the bushnell can usually resolve the .223 holes at 100yds.  At 200yds it can't.  The kowa can reliably resolve at both distances, but is a much more expensive scope, around $700.  If you are just doing 100yd casual shooting, the bushnell is probably a good bet compared to some of the other junk out there like simmons, winchester, etc.  I can't comment on the other two scopes you mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I really hate to sound negative, but you "ain't" going to get a "quality scope" for those prices.

Three to four times that, probably, five times, yes.

Cheers!
Him
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to go here ( [url]http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/SpottingScopes.htm[/url] ) and read Snipercountry.com's great review on a bunch of affordable spotters.

Included in the test were:
Kowa TS 612
Swift Panther
Bushnell Spacemaster
Burris Signature
Nikon Spotter XL
Leupold Wind River

The Bushnell beat the Leupold hands down.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Also check IOR spotting scopes.  There are some deals out there and they are made with as high quality glass as the very high end stuff.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like the Leupold Golden Ring 12-40x60mm Variable Power Spotting Scope, it's what I use, but I think they are something like $900.  They just came out with the Leupold Golden Ring 10-20x40mm Compact Spotting Scope which is even more compact, love to have that one.  It is only $300.

My first one was this nice 20-60 (I think) Tasco that had a handy rifle sight on top of the scope which made it really quick to get on target before dialing it in at high power.  However, I wanted to clearly make out the holes in the target at longer ranges and went Leupold for the optical clarity.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I really hate to sound negative, but you "ain't" going to get a "quality scope" for those prices.

Three to four times that, probably, five times, yes.

View Quote

That statement is dead-on.

I like my Kowa's, second choice would be a Swarovski. (sp?)
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Burris 20x-50mm Compact Landmark Spotting Scope. It works great for the 100 yard range. And the best part is, its only $65 dollars. For the range its great, and back packing to since its compact.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top