Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 3:27:36 PM EDT
Hi,

I want to mount a scope on the A2 rifle I use for NRA Service match rifle competition.  It's got to be easily uninstalled/reinstalled and I'm not concerned about having to re-zero it after re-installation.   The main purpose is to check out handloaded receipies at 200 and 300 yrds in the actual weapon that will be shooting them during competition.

So the question is, hardware recommendations?   What A2 rail mount is best?  What scope would work well?  Who makes the correct rings, and low enough rings to minimize height problems?

Thanks in advance, I do need to mount this to an A2 so "get a flat top" isn't going to help me much  :-)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
This one works well for me, is good quality and priced right.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21265&title=AR-15%2fM16+CARRY+HANDLE+SCOPE+BASE

This pic is for their Weaver base (only 8 slots); the Picatinny rail has slots the whole length.  I like the extra length up front for the front scope ring mount.

There are some other styles at Brownells too:

www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/catSearch.aspx?c=1838
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the weaver drop in.

It sits on top of the A2 carry handle and has a bolt that drops through the A2 handle.

The scope sits at a perfect hight on top of the carry handle.

my 2 cents
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
This is so timely. I am in exactly the the same situation. I have an A2 that I want to use for HighPower and want to attach a scope for load work-up. I have seen the A.R.M.S. unit for app. $60, and have seen others for as low as $14. What would be the major difference between the A.R.M.S. and the bargains and why would it be needed to go with the more expensive one?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have the weaver drop in.

It sits on top of the A2 carry handle and has a bolt that drops through the A2 handle.

The scope sits at a perfect hight on top of the carry handle.

my 2 cents

what is a "weaver drop in"? is this a generic name or is it something in particular?

thanks for your reply...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]

ARMS #2...won't come loose while firing...excellent quality.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Mike @ CSGW, thanks for your reply. but that's what I mean, the two mounts you show are far apart in price. are they far apart in value, too?

I mean, is the ARMS really that much better than the other?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ARMS #2...won't come loose while firing...excellent quality.

OK, bjwar10, I see the difference. but is that the only difference - the nut won't loosen? for $45 wouldn't  a split or locking washer do just as well, or am I missing something?

again, thanks for your reply...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]

I've never used one of the less expensive mounts.  I've handled them and they seem to be fine other than not having a locking mechanism on the thumb screw.  My thoughts would be that you run the risk of the rails not being in spec or the metal is just not the quality of the ARMS...might have weak spots, etc.

It's like buying knock-off/airsoft gear that is available.  If you are not going to use it a lot, it will probably be fine.  I would just rather buy quality once and not have to worry about if/when something is going to break.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top