Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2004 4:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2004 5:08:59 PM EDT by Chevytuff19]
I just received my ATN Patriot III (3rd Gen) NVD tonight.  I took it out to the range where it was really dark and I couldn't see anything when I turned it on.  There were some city lights about 8 or so miles away that were barely visible.....I couldn't even see my hand running it in front of the lens.  When I turned the IR on, I could just see a green glow but couldn't even make out my weapon sitting 3 feet from me.  I left the daylight cover on (a cover that has a tiny hole in it) as the instructions said after that in my room with the lights on and could see a little bit better but it was still blurry.  I left the unit on and turned off all the lights and removed the daylight cover and saw nothing again.  Sorry for being so long winded but I was just hoping a detailed description might help you diagnose the problem.  I am very new to NV as this is my first unit so this may be something I am doing wrong.  I plan on calling ATN tomorrow and asking them as well.

ETA:  It also makes a weird whining sound, is that normal?

Thanks for taking time to help,
Wes
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 5:51:33 PM EDT
That sucks.  Most monoculars have two focus rings you need to adjust.   By the way I am no expert.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 5:56:13 PM EDT
The adjustments are just to focus it.  I was never able to focus it because I couldn't see anything    At least it is still under warranty.  Maybe it was just a factory lemon?

Wes
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:10:13 AM EDT
Did you ever resolve this? Night vison devices should not emit a whining sound. The obvious thing would be that the battery is low. if you have changed batteries and that is not the problem send it back.
I am curious to know the outcome.

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:30:21 AM EDT
The guy from ATN called me yesterday and said that the power supply was bad and that they had a batch of power supplies that weren't exactly right.  He said I would get a new power supply from a new batch.

Wes
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:19:49 PM EDT
I'm glad that's working out for you.

I would note that the ancient PVS 2 that I had for a while did emit a high pitched whine when it was running. Other than that I've not come across one that does.
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 1:23:02 PM EDT
ATN was very professional about it.  It has been about 2 1/2 weeks since I mailed it off to them and they said they should probably ship it back to me either this Fri. or Sat.  The guy was also very helpful when I called to check the status of my repair.

Wes
Top Top