Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2007 8:29:21 AM EDT
Need some help with optics (a new kind of question)

I just got my first M4 it’s a RRA Tactical and I’m looking in to optics or red dots.  I’m not going to ask the question that been asked here a thousand times “which one is better”.

My problem is I have a Glock 23c with a Laser Max built into the slide and I’m no where near as accurate with the laser VS. the Tru Glo TFO sights and was a little disappointed.  Maybe I need a little more time with it, or maybe I concentrate on the red dot down range that moves around more since it is going the distance down the range.

So my question is with either the EOTech or the Aimpoint (I am leaning more towards the Aimpoint Comp M4) would I have the same problems or is it completely different since you are not actually projecting the red dot down range.

Any suggestions or thoughs?

BTW: This is my first post here at AR15.com and it seems like a great community.  I look forward to the extensive knowledge base here.

Thanks
Mark

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to arfcom.

A red dot moves an identical amount to a laser.  If you mount a red dot and laser and cowitness them you will never be able to tell which is which because they are 100% overlapping at that range.

A laser or red dot is much faster and easier  than looking at your front sight post and having the target blurred.  Sounds like you need practice if you cant shoot well with a laser.  A laser is faster for everyone... have you trained an equal amout of time on a laser as irons?  Also the laser you mentioned cannot be zeored and I hate them for accuracy as they are always off target.  I use CTC grips and would give up tritiums in a handgun before my CTC grips.  I would not use a Lasermax if it was free.  I like my weapons to at least have my aiming point be the same as my POI at  a minimum of ONE distance.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I find the red dot to be much easier to hold on target for a rifle.  I think the reason for this is due to the fact that you have to have the rifle in an aiming position to use it, so the rifle is steadier.  I always found myself looking way over the rifle without a cheekweld when using a laser and it was not as steady like that.  I also found myself looking for the laser's dot instead of looking for the target.  With a red dot it is easier for me to look for the target and the red dot is just there wherever I'm looking.  I think a laser has its place, but a daytime visible red dot is more usefull on a rifle IMO.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top