Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 9:18:51 AM EDT
I have wanted to get an AR-15 for quite some time, but with school and other expenses have not been able to afford it.  I am a MN resident first off, in case this applies to my questions.  It seems that there is still a strong movement to reinstate the awb, despite the arguments and facts that many of us are very familiar with.  I really can not afford to purchase a complete rifle at this point, however I do not want to miss the chance to own a completely legal rifel.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems that the going rate is around 1k for a complete rifle.

It seems that awb will most likely come back in some form in the future.  I realize that we don’t want to see this, but I think we would be ignorant to say that there is no chance it will come back.  I’m sure my questions are somewhat trivial to many of you, but I would appreciate it if you could help me out.  I don’t want to miss the chance to obtain a legal rifle because of ignorance.

First, if a new awb were to come about, would all of today’s and yesterdays preban/postban weapons fall into the category of the new preban?

What parts of the rifle do you need to own and have assembled to have what would be considered a pre-ban gun if you were to finish assembling it later?  The reason I ask is I could probably afford to buy a lower at this point and buy the rest of the components later when I am in a better position financially.  

I am correct in my reading that if you have a “preban” lower you are allowed to assemble the rest of the gun at a later date, ban or no ban, using preban parts such as collapsible stocks, flash suppressors, and “regular” magazines?

What would be a reasonable market price for a complete lower if the above is true?

Are there any special laws that apply to ar’s in MN that I need to be aware of  and what documents that my new lower would be recognized as “preban” so I would not get in trouble with it down the road?  I am very interested in purchasing this rifle as a collectors item as well as a sport shooting gun, however I have no interest in getting myself in trouble over it.

Does anyone know of any good dealers that would provide me with a honest sale in MN, preferably in the Twin City’s area?

I would appreciate any other advice you could provide to someone who is looking to get into your sport.  

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#1]
First of all, welcome to the boards.  It's nice to see all the new faces around here with the attention from the AWB expiration.  

Quoted:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems that the going rate is around 1k for a complete rifle.

depends on what you mean by complete.  You should be able to buy an assembled lower receiver assembly in your area for around $200 and a basic upper receiver assembly from a reputable company should be around $500 or a little more.  Throw in a few mags and you should still be under $800.  It's when the addiction hits and you decide that you want optics mounts, railed handguards, etc. that the price starts climbing.

It seems that awb will most likely come back in some form in the future.  I realize that we don’t want to see this, but I think we would be ignorant to say that there is no chance it will come back.  I’m sure my questions are somewhat trivial to many of you, but I would appreciate it if you could help me out.  I don’t want to miss the chance to obtain a legal rifle because of ignorance.
We all understand that completely.  I passed up some good deals back in 94 because it wasn't clear (to me at any rate) whether or not existing weapons would be grandfathered.  I was an E4 in the military and didn't have money to gamble.

First, if a new awb were to come about, would all of today’s and yesterdays preban/postban weapons fall into the category of the new preban?
This really can't be answered at this point because there really is no way to predict what twisted piece of legal BS might eventually make it out of a committee and be voted on.

I would suggest taking a look in the hometown forums for your state.  You're more likely to get good answers about state and local laws plus you can find people in your area who can suggest good shops and may be able to help you with things like assembling any parts you might purchase.

Also, there is a forum in this section that deals specifically with legal issues that you might also want to check out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Right there in your home state is an excellent manufacturer, www.dpmsinc.com, (320) 258-4448 or 800-578-3767.  I am sure there are many dealers who handle their products in MN.  And your local dealers could fill you in on your state's laws.

DPMS is in St. Cloud, I don't know if they allow walk in customers.

JP Enterprises, I think is in the Twin Cities area, www.jprifles.com and phone 651-426-9196.

Preban?  There is no such thing as preban or postban any more.  There is no ban.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#3]

I am correct in my reading that if you have a “preban” lower you are allowed to assemble the rest of the gun at a later date, ban or no ban, using preban parts such as collapsible stocks, flash suppressors, and “regular” magazines?

NEGATIVE, that is incorrect!

The interpretation of the 94 ban by the ATF was that even if the lower was manufactured before the ban took effect- the rifle had to be assembled with the evil components BEFORE the ban took effect.  I'll post a reference to this information forthcoming. Info on 94 ban... Look at the "bulleted" items towards the last half of the page as well as the paragraph above the bulleted items.  (Just keep in mind, any new bans probably will not make the same mistakes and will wildly vary from the old ban that just went to hell in a handbasket)

If a new ban were to pass, and it was similar to this one via the cosmetic features, it might be worthwhile to just get a couple of lowers with collapsible stocks... Then find someone with a Preban configured upper and try it on for fit.  Once the upper is set on the lower- it now has been "fully assembled" with all the evil features.  Thank whoever let you complete your evil guns as you hand them back their upper.  Would be a good idea to document them as "complete" by taking photos clearly showing the rifle, serial # and evil features- Develope and mail the pics to yourself leaving them unopened in the envelope with the USPS cancellation showing the date.  If you are ever in a bind, you can have the mailed pics as proof.

Welcome to the boards Bridomine99!

Obviously the biggest factor is if a new ban were to be instated, what it calls out as legal/illegal.

Price for a complete lower should run in the $250-$300ish range depending on manufacture-  Think of you ABCs!

Armalite.
Bushmaster.
Colt.

I would recommend B over A and either before C. But don't overlook Rock River Arms or a quality forged lower from DPMS, LMT, Stag, Oly, etc. etc.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you everyone for the replies....more to follow after work

Dom
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top