Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/1/2006 9:09:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 9:14:21 AM EDT by thedoctors308]
I just bought this used Bushy upper, and I was looking at the flash suppressor.
It has what appears to be a washer behind it, something I have heard discussed in re: 14.5 inch bbls when perm attaching a FS.
I measured the FS and it is 1.75 inches long, which IIRC, is longer than a standard A2 FS.
Pics below.

So...what do I have here?
TIA
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:24:20 AM EDT
It looks like an A2-style muzzle brake with a crush washer to me...That's a post ban barrel assembly, right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:34:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spitfire75:
It looks like an A2-style muzzle brake with a crush washer to me...That's a post ban barrel assembly, right?

You think?
Damn...will I be at a disadvantage using this?
Should I take it off and add an A2 or Phantom instead?
Anyway to tell if it is perm-attached?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:43:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 9:46:25 AM EDT by no_knock556]

My inital thought was a crush washer and extended A2, but the small diameter on the "A2" didn't look right.

Would you be at a disadvantage to use it? I wouldn't see why...if you do take it off, you will have to replace it with an FH that will get the barrel back up to 16".
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:44:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 9:46:39 AM EDT by bump0x]

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

You think?

Yup, they used a crush washer instead of a peel washer. No difference in functionality. If you aren't in a state with an AWB then I would take it off and put on a phantom. Thats just my preference tho.

It looks like its permanently attached. You will probaly see a slight discoloration on the brake at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. Thats where the pins are. You can dremel them out and then unscrew the brake.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:46:42 AM EDT
Hey there, new to this game dont have an AR *yet* but you have my curiosity peaked here.

Whats the connection between the muzzle break/flash suppressor and the state by state AWB?

Thanks for humoring me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:50:30 AM EDT

You think?

In the first picture, just forward of the washer > on the bottom of the ring with the wrench flats > is that a hole I see? Permanently attached muzzle devises that are pinned in place are suppose to have the pin hole welded over too.

You can send the upper to different 'smiths/outfits on the board here who will remove a permanently attached device and install a flash suppressor for you.

And yes, that is a crush washer you're asking about.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:54:44 AM EDT
Looks like one of those CAV COMPS!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:13:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By birdo:
Hey there, new to this game dont have an AR *yet* but you have my curiosity peaked here.

Whats the connection between the muzzle break/flash suppressor and the state by state AWB?

Thanks for humoring me.

Well, when the 1994 AWB was put in place they used features commonly found on assault weapons to define what was or wasn't an assault rifle. They were things like pistol grip, flash hider, collapsable stock, bayonet lug, etc.

In order to make new rifles that still resembled an AR15 between 1994 and 2004 that complied with the AWB manufacturers had to alter their product which involved removing the bayo lug, flash hider, etc. Once the federal AWB sunset in september 2004, people could install all those 'evil' features on their rifles made during the ban. However, some states (like NY, MD, CA, NJ) enacted their own AWB ban modeled after the federal one so they are still limited by state law.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:16:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:
Looks like one of those CAV COMPS!

Yep, or maybe a Wilson brake.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:05:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bump0x:
Well, when the 1994 AWB was put in place they used features commonly found on assault weapons to define what was or wasn't an assault rifle. They were things like pistol grip, flash hider, collapsable stock, bayonet lug, etc.

In order to make new rifles that still resembled an AR15 between 1994 and 2004 that complied with the AWB manufacturers had to alter their product which involved removing the bayo lug, flash hider, etc. Once the federal AWB sunset in september 2004, people could install all those 'evil' features on their rifles made during the ban. However, some states (like NY, MD, CA, NJ) enacted their own AWB ban modeled after the federal one so they are still limited by state law.

Thanks for the explanation, I understand now. Glad I moved away from NJ when I was younger.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:10:50 PM EDT
first pic is a standard 12 inch ruler. Very handy.

Glad I could help.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:46:16 PM EDT
Well it looks like it has been blind pinned.
Any idea on how to remove that?
I'd much prefer a phantom or vortex to a compensator.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:22:17 PM EDT

I used a dremel and a carbide cutter to grind down past the weld. Then I picked/pulled out the pins and unscrewed the brake. I then used 1200 degree silver solder to permanently attach a phantom.

You could also send it to a place like ADCO. They will remove a brake for like $65 and perm attach a new one for like $25. It all depends on how handy you are. Its pretty easy to scratch through the park job on your barrel using a dremel (if you care about that sort of thing).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:41:01 PM EDT

I used a dremel and a carbide cutter to grind down past the weld. Then I picked/pulled out the pins and unscrewed the brake. I then used 1200 degree silver solder to permanently attach a phantom.

You could also send it to a place like ADCO. They will remove a brake for like $65 and perm attach a new one for like $25. It all depends on how handy you are. Its pretty easy to scratch through the park job on your barrel using a dremel (if you care about that sort of thing).

Thanks for the advice.
I'm pretty handy with a dremel, so I guess I have a little project for the weekend.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:42:19 AM EDT
got it. its a DPMS AR-15 "Branson" muzzle break. Midway catalog, part #550-170. by closing the end of it they could get away with calling it a muzzle break to skirt around the AWB.

Bobby
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:17:15 PM EDT
DPMS as well as Bushmaster and other companies all sold that same type of brake. It's essentially the CavComp AFAIK.

Is your barrel actually 14.5"?? You didn't say. It is important because if it's 16" then you dn't need to permanently attach anything to it. It would have been perm. attached because a threaded barrel was a no-no as well.

It might be pressed on as well. Yeah, I know washers aren't needed when a muzzle device is pressed on but a lot of things are done for looks and this might be one of them.

Your best bet is ADCO. They'll remove it and install a Phantom whish is about $25 for the FS, not sure on the price to install it perm. though.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:27:04 PM EDT

However, some states (like NY, MD, CA, NJ) enacted their own AWB ban modeled after the federal one so they are still limited by state law.

Maryland DOES NOT have an AWB. Please refrain from making more comments on the law of other states before you know them.

BTW we can have all the class 3 goodies too
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:53:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:

However, some states (like NY, MD, CA, NJ) enacted their own AWB ban modeled after the federal one so they are still limited by state law.

Maryland DOES NOT have an AWB. Please refrain from making more comments on the law of other states before you know them.

You still have a weenie magazine law tho!

BTW we can have all the class 3 goodies too

We've pretty much got that opened up now too. No SBRs, but you can put a short upper on an M16 anytime you want
Top Top