Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2002 2:55:31 PM EDT
I need some advice on the best all purpose rifle.  I have an M4gery, but Im looking for something which would have sufficient accuracy and velocity to 200-250 yds.  Im thinking of a 16" SPR with FF RAS and PRI flip up front sight.  Im also looking for opinions on accurate yet affordable barrels/uppers.  Would a BM or RRA be accurate enough? Please post your opinions.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Well for an "all purpose" rifle, I'd go with some sort of battle rifle.  FAL, M14, Garands, are all good choices.  If 5.56 is your thing, I'd go with a standard 20" AR15A2, but again if I had to have one rifle to do it all, it would be something with a little more punch. Don't get me wrong AR's are a blast, but good for everything they are not.

Oh yeah, if you've already got an M4gery why would you want another 16" rifle?

JMO

Later
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
16 inch AR10. Why? .308 is heavy enough for almost any game animal. The round is very accurate as is the weapon. 5-20 round mags are available.No real change in correcting a malfunction or in takedown for cleaning. How is that for a suggestion?
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
What are all the purposes of your all purpose rifle?  CQB? Precision shooting? Zombie hunting?  We could help more if we had more info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:39:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The Jeff Cooper "scout rifle" concept was / is all about defining and building such a rifle. I recommend reading up on his philosophy, take from it what you need, and go about finding such ar rifle for yourself. Depending on how much you agree with COL Cooper, you may even want to try and build your own scout rifle to his specs - or sell your kids and buy the Steyr Scout itself.

Of course, if you want to stick with an AR type rifle - well, my opinion is a flat-top (A4) 20" rifle. I personally find .30 cal "battle rifles" to just be too darn heavy. Yes, I am a wuss.

Adam
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#5]
My #1 all purpose is an old M4 carbine with the fixed handle.  Does everything one would expect out to 300 meters.

My #2 is a standard M16A2.

My #3 is a shorty-M14 built on a Springfield Inc. M1A receiver, but the ammo is a lot heavier.

I don't trust the AR10 at all.  Too many reliability problems I've seen with other folks rifles.

I've got a couple of other M16 uppers I can swap around a needed.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#6]
For 'All Purpose' I'd have to say an M16A2 type clone for just 1 reason.  You can shoot in Service Rifle matches with it (so you add 1 more purpose than a carbine).

But like Chuck I'd grab my C7 uppered M4gery before I grabbed my M16A2 clone for most chores.

Want to extend the 'fragmentation range' of your M4?  Try switching to some Black Hills 75gr - it had a better wound channel and fragments at lower velocities than M193 or M855.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Forest, can you post a link to a thread where I can check out the 75gr Black Hills ammo report? If you point me to the oracle, I'll be pretty embarassed!
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Nevermind... Im looking at the oracle now. Guess its been a while since I looked it over...
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep the oracle should have some info (as does MD-AR15.com's 5.56's Ammo FAQ).

Past printings of the IWBA Journal should also have the info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#10]
How about a 20 inch A4 upper by Rock river, they claim 1 MOA with the gun.  get taht with a stainless steel barrel, and made the upper to a pre-ban lower. take advantage of the flash hider since it will be your AP rifle.

I have an AP rifle, I use a 18 inch stainless steel match barrel with phantom flash hider on a BM upper, BM lower, PRI flipper, PRI Gen2 tube, ARMS SPR rail and a ACOG TA31.  works like a champ for AP and 3 gun.  I am still deciding on using the existing A2 stock or go to a collaspible stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top