Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2007 7:54:48 PM EDT
Guys, I recently picked up an Aimshot Green Laser. It will mount in a 1" type mount of any choosing. When sighting in a laser is it typical to pick an optimum range and stay there. What are some mounting options to keep it closest to the sight plane. If I coordinate the laser with my EOTECH at 40yds. At around 100yds the sight is completly off target. OR is all this just a fact of using a laser. I realize I wont get precision med to long range accuracy.

Any thoughts would be apprecieated.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:21:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2007 10:41:49 PM EDT by eodinert]
Unless the laser is directly above the bore, you cannot sight a laser the same way you might sight an optic.

The military has a paper target with an off-set point of aim for the side mounted laser. It shows point of aim for the aimpoint, the down and off to the side a point of aim for the laser. The army does a 25 meter zero, but most everyone else prefers a 50m zero.

Zero the Eotech at 50m, then have the laser point-of-aim to the left 1.5 inches from the Eotech point of aim (for a laser mounted on the left side of the rifle, with the diode 1.5 inches away from the bore). If you have an off-set laser converge with the line of sight at some range, the farther you go past that range the larger the sighting error will be. If you keep line of sight and the laser beam parallel, the error will be the same at all distances (not taking into account the ballistic tragectory).

A different way to get a quick and dirty zero would be to sight your Eotech normally at 50m. With a 50m zero, the bullet will cross your line of sight at 50m and 200m (with 5.56/AR 15). Wait until the sun goes down (unless you can see your laser at 200 m in the day light), then sight on a target at 200m with your Eotech. Dial the laser in to match the point of aim on the Eotech (@ 200m). By 400 meters, the laser would cross your line of sight and your error (paralax?) would be the same as it is at your weapon (1.5 inches, in my example), but on the opposite side. At 100m, the error would be about 3/4 of an inch.

I hope that makes sense, and is helpful.

Top Top