Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 6:54:11 AM EDT
I just got my new AR in today.  It's a Oly K3B carbine with a 16" HBAR and FIRSH free floating handguard with picatinny rails on all four sides.

I'm going to be using this gun for just plinking and target / varmint shooting out to 300yds…maybe longer.  I want a high powered scope to put on it...but all the ones I've seen are huge. I found a 6x24 x 42mm that looked great...but then I saw that it it 15.25" long.  I think that would look really goofy on a carbine.  What's a good scope that will meet my needs, and not break my wallet (under $150).  I could probably deal with a 3x12 or something with less power.

Also....how tall of rings will I need?  

One more question....is it ok to have one ring mounted on the upper...and one on the handguard (just in case I have to scoot the scope that far forward).  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just got my new AR in today.  It's a Oly K3B carbine with a 16" HBAR and FIRSH free floating handguard with picatinny rails on all four sides.

I'm going to be using this gun for just plinking and target / varmint shooting out to 300yds…maybe longer.  I want a high powered scope to put on it...but all the ones I've seen are huge. I found a 6x24 x 42mm that looked great...but then I saw that it it 15.25" long.  I think that would look really goofy on a carbine.  What's a good scope that will meet my needs, and not break my wallet (under $150).  I could probably deal with a 3x12 or something with less power.

Also....how tall of rings will I need?  

One more question....is it ok to have one ring mounted on the upper...and one on the handguard (just in case I have to scoot the scope that far forward).  Thanks.

Welcome to the site, imq707s.  

There are a BUNCH of similar threads going here, you might want to poke around and read them

Look at a Sightron S1 3x9x40...you can get the mildot version for around $110.  I have one of these, and the glass looks to be bright, clear, and the image is pretty sharp.  I haven't shot that rifle yet, so I have no idea how it behaves in the field.  Sightron's have a pretty good rep for their higher priced lines like the S2 and S3, so I'm hoping this will be ok.  

A Simmons Aetec is a very nice scope for the money...even new, you should be able to snag one for under $150.  I have the 3.8x12 on one of my pimped out 10/22s, because the AO goes down to 20 yards.  I've had that scope on sevearl ARs, though, and it's performed well.  The glass is very nice for the price.  I heard, though, that Simmons did a bait and switch on these things.  The had the original ones made in the Philippines, then sent them over here for reviews.  After all the good press, they switched the manufacturing to China lol.  I don't know whether this is true or not.  Mine says Made in the Philippines, fwiw.  

You could grab a Meuller or Swift in 3x9xXX for under $150, as well.  Meuller's are getting some buzz now, and all of their scopes save one have illuminated reticles.  Swift is another company that folks who own their products say good things about...a couple of Swift owners posted words to that effect a while back in another thread.  

If you don't have to clear a rear BUIS, meduim rings should work on anything under a 50mm objective.  
Bear in mind, though, that medium to one manufacturer may be low/high to another.  

As far as one being on the handguard and on the rail, you *could* do it, assuming they're both exactly the same height.  It would look a little funny, to me.  

Yankee Hill makes a 5" and 7" rail extension...it's only a partial, it doens't cover the whole of the flat top, but it will allow you to move the scope forward for better eye relief.  They're cheap, like $35, so it won't break the bank.  That way, you know you'll have a level mounting surface, and it will me a lot more cosmetic, imho.  Go the the YHM site and check 'em out.  

I have one on order, I'll probably get it Monday.  

Several folks here have them, and seem to like 'em.  

there's lot of choices...but I think your budget is a little light to get a good 6x24xXX scope...I think you need to scale down your hopes a little bit.  

Another thing to remember...a mediocre 18x isn't as sharp as a really good 12x or 14x...so if you get better glass, you can do with a little less X.  Now, you'll get LOTS of arguments from the Scope Snobs® that ANYTHING in this price range isn't gonna be good.  For lighter duty, range gun/plinking, I would argue against that point.  For a duty/combat gun, I would agree wholeheartedly with them, though.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what I ended up doing.

I bought a Nikon 3x9x40 ProStaff scope and used a set of high "see-thru" rings.  

What do you  think?

http://www.swmosportbikes.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=52537
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#4]
IMQ707, I think you will like the Nikon.  I have their tactical model 2.5-10X40 on my AR and their 6-20X44 on my .308.  These are fabulous scopes, you will not be disappointed.

Sig685
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top