Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 5:01:32 AM EDT
Found a local stash of Remington Golden Saber ( 9*19, 124 gr, +P) on clearance for about $16 a box of 25.

I've read where this is good stuff, but I don't know the age of the ammo in question.  Were there earler designs that were not as good as current?  I opened one of the boxes and saw where the pre-formed expansion slots were in a twist pattern (which I know is current) if that helps.

Just trying to decide if I want to go back and buy a bunch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:01:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot it, primarily in .45 auto due to the +P loads.

It's probably as good as anything else...I'd get it.

ETA:  If the price is acceptable; I usually hit the bulk ammo supplier sales so I don't know what a good price on a box of 20 is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats 32 bucks for 50, you can get federal hst, winchester ranger T, and speer gold dot (9mm) for around 25 a box of 50.   The remington gold sabre is a good round but price does not seem cheap to me.

JCS
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Found a local stash of Remington Golden Saber ( 9*19, 124 gr, +P) on clearance for about $16 a box of 25.

I've read where this is good stuff, but I don't know the age of the ammo in question.  Were there earler designs that were not as good as current?  I opened one of the boxes and saw where the pre-formed expansion slots were in a twist pattern (which I know is current) if that helps.

I suspect that most of the modern self defense projectiles are as good as the next, given you put them where they need to go.  That said, many of us have our preferences.  For the money you mention, I'd buy the 50 round boxes of Win Ranger T-series ammunition.  Same money, but I tend to prefer the Ranger T-series to any of the other defensive pistol projectiles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I use these. The earlier GS are not bonded, I believe there were issues with jacket separation when shooting through hard barriers. The newer stuff should be marked Bonded on the box.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Its better then not having anything but for the money I would go with other choices out there such as Gold Dots or Ranger T.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Its better then not having anything but for the money I would go with other choices out there such as Gold Dots or Ranger T.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer Golden Saber's in the heavier weights (147gr 9mm/180gr .40/230gr .45), but the 124gr loads are ok, as long as you are not shooting through auto glass or sheet steel.

$32 per 50?  Doesn't seem that great because I can get Federal HST for $30 per 50.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top