Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 1:15:21 AM EDT
Does anyone have any good photos of the M-16/AR-15 muzzle flash?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:02:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Here 'ya go...

11.5" M16
[img]members.aol.com/selectfire/images/steve.jpg[/img]

and although not an M16 (its an HK51 w/G3 flash supressor), here's another fireball photo...
[img]members.aol.com/selectfire/images/picture%20055.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:16:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you looking for the effects of a [b]evil[/b] flash hider to disprove or prove something.

That would be a great way to educate the Anti's and the uninformed; a picture is worth a thousand words.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I need the A2 5 bladed flash signature...must be A2 and from an AR-15 or M-16. Just the blades, not the fireball in front of it.

It is for the Desert Combat development team to help with their game.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The 20" M16A1 has almost no flash at night.

smaller than a match
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
My experience with the M16A2 in the Marine Corps Infantry using M855 ball was that there was no flash.  Even at night, maybe if you were on the receiving end you might see a little spark or two, but I wouldn't know. Those Flash hiders work wonders, it's too bad they are "Evil".
By the way, when is .4 comming out?  I love DC.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.  The only time there was a noticable flash was when firing blanks, then it looked like hollywood with all the flames shooting out of the BFA.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:40:31 AM EDT
[#6]
So you are saying the STAR shaped burst is only seen in movies and blanks? Hmmm.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So you are saying the STAR shaped burst is only seen in movies and blanks? Hmmm.
View Quote

yes, based on my experience.  

The "star shaped burst" you see in films comes from the prop guns that are used, which fire blanks only.  In order for the "gun" to cycle the action while being fired, there must be some restriction of the expanding gasses traveling down the barrel (as there is no projectile).  Usualy these prop guns have a little stopper in the end of the barrel that blocks some of the blast to provide back pressure.  Not to mention that most blank rounds are desined to produce a more dramatic flash.  In the Military we would use a Blank Firing Adapter, or BFA, that would attatch to the muzzle and do the same thing.  You have probably seen theese in documentaries or training footage.  Looks like a red or black cube on the end of rifle.  
It still might be ok to "Hollywood" the flash a little for a video game though.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess I ought to link back to the source of this stuff, it's a forum for DC:

[url]http://forums.bf42.com/showthread.php?s=06aa55e5804aa3970633fa36c7445be0&threadid=35839&perpage=15&pagenumber=1[/url]
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
noticed a few things on your desert combat website, which is really nice looking by the way. would have snet an email but your profile doesn't give that option.
1. remington 870 is pump action not semiauto.
2. browning hi-power holds 13 rounds standard.
3. skorpion machine pistol, i think, holds less than 30 as pictured.
4. the m14 derivative you're showing is more of a designated markman rifle than a sniper rifle. dedicated sniper rifles i think are mostly remington 700 derivatives. people at this board will know this.
5. the plural of army is armies, not army's.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not associated with the Desert Combat team, I just love the game and wanted to help them out.

Yes, they are in need of technical help for many of the weapons in the game, which is still in it's Alpha stage. So far it is pretty good though. The models need to be redone for the AK's as well.

I guess Goldeneye will have to suffice as the model for the flash if they so choose. Thanks for the help, and buy Battlefield 1942 and download Desert Combat if you haven't tried it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I once had a chance to talk to a movie prop guy at WB studios, and he told me that for them to get that famous "star" muzzle flash out of their M16s, they had to load almost three times the normal amount of powder into their blanks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Mostly, Desert Combat is fought with vehicles, not with infantry.  Quite often, the player is treated to the sight of a helicopter cutting down half-a-dozen infantry with salvos of rockets.

So balancing the capabilities of both teams for enjoyment takes a priority over realistically modeling the small arms.  The designers have done very well with a solid and playable game, and have made some technical mistakes, but have also deliberately made some concessions to play balance.

Plus, an extra 3 rounds of 9mm won't stop the M1A1 coming over the hill. :)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top