Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 4:55:30 AM EDT
I'm in the process of selling or trading my Fulton Armory Phantom only because I want a 16" iron-sighted rifle that's easier to get in and out of the truck. Looking for the best accuracy I can get given 16" bbl, and of course best quality internals. In terms of accuracy, reliability, etc, etc, would you recommend Bushmaster or RRA? I own several Colt pistols (big Colt fan) but can't justify the price just yet for a 6920. I really like the mid-length RRA with the longer sight radius, but hear the RRA's are hard to come by due to difficulty keeping up with demand. Any opinion on any aspect of these rifles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Ill tell ya youll probably get more for the money in RRA.Bushmaster uses the spec barrel steel but thats hardly in issue in a semi-auto.I think Bushy is still alot of rifle for the money but they need to do a few things.First use aluminum trigger guards.On their carbines M4 handguards and an H buffer should be standard and on their flat tops start using a taller FSB or put the .040 higher front sight post in.My buddy got a brand new 16" HBAR flat top over the weekend and low and behold its shooting 5" high at 50 yds.We raised the front post to the point of wobbling to zero now he needs a taller post.Their standard handguards are crap.Im glad they finally use closed bottom carriers but these little extras that should be standard would go a long way.I hate buying something new out of the box and having to upgrade.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ill tell ya youll probably get more for the money in RRA.Bushmaster uses the spec barrel steel but thats hardly in issue in a semi-auto.I think Bushy is still alot of rifle for the money but they need to do a few things.First use aluminum trigger guards.On their carbines M4 handguards and an H buffer should be standard and on their flat tops start using a taller FSB or put the .040 higher front sight post in.My buddy got a brand new 16" HBAR flat top over the weekend and low and behold its shooting 5" high at 50 yds.We raised the front post to the point of wobbling to zero now he needs a taller post.Their standard handguards are crap.Im glad they finally use closed bottom carriers but these little extras that should be standard would go a long way.I hate buying something new out of the box and having to upgrade.

You are saying that the weapon wouldn't zero out of the box at 50 yards?  

As far as handguards, that is such a minor issue that I really don't see the point.  There are still plenty of people who like the carbine style handguards.  

The bolt carriers haven't been an issue in quite awhile, and I can't remember using any that were open carriers from Bushie, I might have just been lucky with all of them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Bushy
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the mid length since you will be using irons. The pretty much narrows it down. Try ADCO for availability.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered an RRA yesterday great price and avaiability at EAGLE
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote RRA Mid-length chrome-lined with an A2 upper and A1 stock.

Very proportional and very handy.

I say A2 for the simple fact that you said you wanted a rifle with irons and an A2 upper would be inherently more durable than a flattop with a rear site bolted to the rail, IMHO anyway.

WIZZO

EDIT: AFAIK, Bushy didn't use open carriers like the Colt semi-auto's. They used standard AR carriers (cut under the firing pin, full circle for about 1/2" at the rear of the carrier) up until the past couple years. My brother's Bushy (bought new in 2000) had the standard carrier, but most of the guys nowadays are saying that they are coming with the newer "Enhanced" RRA-style carriers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
My few month old Bushy has an enhanced carrier.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys. I do actually want a flattop to have the option of using irons or a quick acquisition type of optic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to vote RRA. I have 2 R4 16 inch A3 uppers . Both shoot great and I have had no trouble with eaither
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If possible shoot both brands and compare. Usually after a couple of mags and working the controls you'll find what you prefer. If that isnt possible just handle both at your local dealer. One of them will stand out after awhile

I've shoot every brand of AR at one time or another and I learned with experiance and time that I prefer RRA. So much so I purchased my own Entry Tactical for work instead of just taking an issue Bushmaster Bushmaster XM15A3

The biggest mistake a person can make is buying based upon brand alone
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#11]
i just bought a rra entry tact the other day for 829....IM me if you want one...i can show you where to get it .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top