Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 4:39:55 AM EDT
Dear Optic Gurus,

I got a Nikon 4x fixed power for hunting/plinking and if needed, defense. It's going on my FAL, mounted low on an ARMS mount. The FAL has the std bbl. 20" or 21", can't remember how long it is.

Although it's not very "high-speed & tactical", the Nikon was the best quality scope I could afford and I wanted a scope for the FAL since I put the Aimpoint back on the AR15. The glass on the little Nikon seems very bright and clear. Lifetime warranty too.

Anyway, going to the range on Thursday to set the zero. I was thinking about a 50yd zero like on the AR15 w/Aimpoint. I would think that would get me a good hit on a medium size hog out to about 200yds or so and also good for plinking around or whatever. I am told that most shots on pigs will be inside 100yds anyway. Never hunted pigs before and hoping to try it this spring or early summer.

99% of ammo used will be milsurp or Wolf with maybe some 150gr Silvertips or TAP for hunting.

So is the 50yd zero the way to go?

Thanks for reading and be safe,

Flyer

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Well you may have a point about putting Aimpoint back on the FAL as far as moving targets are concerned.

But I really missed having it on the AR. My AR is a shorty Bushmaster, it's my "bump in the night" gun. It's just so much fun to shoot with the Aimpoint that I had to put it back on there.

My long term plan is to get an 2MOA Aimpoint M3 with the 3x magnifier for my FAL but right now money is real tight.

That's one vote for 100 yd zero.....

Thanks for the input,

Flyer
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for 100yd zero. With .308 out to 200yds, your POI variance will not be big enough to matter given the inherent accuracy of a standard FAL (about 2-3MOA).
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dear Optic Gurus,

Measure the Height-over-Bore (center of the optic to the center of the bore). This will be one of the biggest factors in determining WHAT zero is 'optimal' for your firearm.

50y zero works great with .223 and a 2.6" HOB, that does not mean it works well with any other rifle.  For example even though a Mini-14 is a .223 weapon it's 1" HOB means the 50y zero if only flat to 150 yards or so.   For such low mounted sights a 25y zero makes much more sense (and acts very similar to the 50y zero for the AR-15).

Give use the specifics and we'll come up with a decent zero distance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks,

The height over the bore is about 2 1/4".

I went to the range today and zeroed it at 100yds with the 150gr Silvertips. It grouped about
2" when I was doing my part, which I guess is OK for a FAL.

The only thing that disapointed me was the difference in point of impact between the 7.62 Portuguese and the Winchester Silvertips. The Port grouped about 6" higher and to the right. I had hoped they would have been a little closer together. For now I'll just use the scope with the Silvertips if I go hunting and use the irons to plink with.

Be safe,

Flyer

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top