Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2003 7:56:59 PM EDT
I have been looking all over on internet for this special adapter that connects surefire flashlight G2 to the front sight, which would enable me to use my thumb to press the rear switch at 10 to 11 o clock position of the foregrip. I don't want anything that connects to the bottom of the handguard because I feel that would interfere with my slings.

Can you guys help me where I can get info on it and if you do own one, tell me what you think of it. I don't want one from surefire that makes the flashlight stick out way too far from the front sight, I want the rear of the flashlight to be close to handguard as possible for easy articulation of my thumb to touch the rear switch.

Thanks! -ChaZ
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:47:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a setup like that with a G-2 and it works perfectly by keeping my hand stationary on the front handguards and only using my thumb to hit the momentary switch of the G-2 . Go to brownells.com and do a search for these two part numbers... 100-000-727 and 100-001-022. I can email a picture of my rifle if you want to see it all mounted up together.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That is what I want! And it's a great idea that the flashlight adapter can be put on and taken off without any complication. I also like that piccany rail adapter for front sight, it look well machined and clean.

Yes, please do post the picture, I would like to see how close is the tail of the surefire flashlight is to the handguard so I can visualize how much movement it would require for my thumb to move and push the switch.

Thanks! -ChaZ
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 2:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I know this is sad, but I have never figured out how to post a picture at this site. Hit the "email user" button on my post and I'll forward you back a photo.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for sending me the pix. It looks a lot better in that position than in other position.

However, I was looking at the picture of that adapter that you put on the sight of AR-15. I was wondering if it's possible for me to remove the piccany rail off the left side of that adapter so it wouldn't look blocky?

How do you put it on? Do you use bolt and nut to put the adapter on the front sight then screw on the rails with hex screw?

-ChaZ
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Chaz,

I'm was in the same boat as you are a week ago. I bought a G2 Surefire for my AR at a recent gun show, and wanted to mount it on the front site tower. Unfortunately, I have much more free time than money, so I couldn't see spending $50 on that Brownelss mount (it's very nice looking), or more on the GGG SLiC mount, and another $30 for the Fobus clamp, so I made a front sight tower mount from the instructions I found here on the Maryland AR15 Shooter Site:
[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/frontsitelightmount.msnw[/url] =Make a Front Site Tower Light Mount

I bought some aluminum from Home Depot (1.5" x .25" x 3') for $4, some small #6x32 1" screws, washers and nuts, and a few nylon spacers with a .25" ID. I also got the #29 Weaver mount from a local gun shop that was $4, and I had some Brownells Teflon Gun paint in matte finish already. I followed the instructions and made the two halves that fit int the sight tower perfectly on each side in about an hour, filed and sanded them, then painted them and the hardware with the Teflon matte Gun Cote. I had a spare Weaver 1" ring already, and mounted the light on the left side of the sight tower when the paint had dried, and I had baked it for 20 min to harden the finish. I think I came out great, and my investment for the whole thing was about $10. My supporting left hand is in a perfect position to push the tail cap of the G2 with my thumb, and it's right on the money and square to the bore. At 5', the light illuminated everything in my sights when I tested it. I'll post a few pics tonight when I get home.

Images added 9.5.03:
[img]http://www.whalendesign.com/ar15/surefire1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.whalendesign.com/ar15/surefire2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.whalendesign.com/ar15/surefire3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.whalendesign.com/ar15/surefire4.jpg[/img]

Oh, one more thing: I used red Locktite to keep the nuts on during recoil!

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top