Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2004 6:10:47 PM EDT
Hello ,I am a new owner of a .308 bushmaster.I have owned guns for about ten years, (357 mag,and 12 gauge shotgun) mainly for home defense.Both take simple rounds to get the job done ,but where kind I find out how to chose the right bullet to get the job done right.Now I have this .308 ,and figured I need to learn more about bullets. I know they all go bang ,and leave holes.hat
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hello ,I am a new owner of a .308 bushmaster.I have owned guns for about ten years, (357 mag,and 12 gauge shotgun) mainly for home defense.Both take simple rounds to get the job done ,but where kind I find out how to chose the right bullet to get the job done right.Now I have this .308 ,and figured I need to learn more about bullets. I know they all go bang ,and leave holes.What I am talking about is ,what bullets are good for different yardeges. When do I need a fmj,or hollow point?Can I use a fmj for deer hunting at 300 yards? At this time I am taking what I am given by the sales person at the counter,I want to be able to know exactly what I need,Not just take what I am given. Thanks for any help. If there are any websites with info ,I would appreciate that also.

Dear BigTruckDriver,

Congratulations on your purchase of a Bushmaster.
 I hope I can be of some assistance, and point you in the direction for more information.  I hope that others can be of greater assistance in areas where I am unable to help you.  There's a lot of good information amongst the www.ar15.com membership roster.

As you have owned guns for about ten years, I imagine you're familiar with the phenomena of bullet trajectory (or trajectories).
 I also imagine you realize the shooter is an important part of the equation.  Poor shooter performance can waste the ammunition which would otherwise be proven very satisfactory in the same rifle when used by another shooter who is having a good day.
 I'm essentially saying that your knowledge of, and proficiency with,  your rifle will play a crucial part in getting bullets to hit a target at any yardage.

Although it pertains mostly to 5.56NATO ammunition, I suggest reading the pages of the Ammo Oracle and the other F.A.Q. files.  There are mentions of the .308/7.62NATO FMJ ammunition.

For hitting paper targets and general plinking, FMJ ammunition is great.  It's usually economical to purchase, shoot and sight-in your rifle with.

Hunting, in the states I'm familiar with, requires use of ammunition meant for the game animals in question.  Often this is some variation of ammunition using "soft point" or "soft nosed" bullets.  In my limited understanding, FMJ bullets are not allowed for hunting purposes.

Self-Defense ammunition can be either FMJ, a hunting load, or a specific type made for police or "home defense", depending upon the circumstances.  In warfare, FMJ is specified by the Geneva convention.  A civilian defending their home could use what is most appropriate for the situation.  You may want to discuss this with your lawyer.

A selection of FMJ and Hunting ammunition is available from several on-line and mail-order stores, several of them are listed in the Ammo Price list topic thread, located at the top of this ammunition forum.  One example is "www.natchezss.com".

For more information about available cartridge/bullet combinations, I'm going to refer you to some websites of manufacturer's producing hunting and FMJ ammunition.  Most of them also provide bullet trajectory information for their cartridges.

www.federalcartridge.com

www.remington.com

www.sb-usa.com  (Sellier & Bellot - USA)

www.winchester.com

I hope that helps.

Good luck, enjoy your rifle, and don't feed the bears.  

Sincerely,
Craig

P.S.  Just as there are many trucks 'n trailers used to haul many kinds of freight, guns and bullets come in variations used for various shooting situations.  A Freightliner FLD hooked to a Wabash barn-door 53' trailer makes a good set of general purpose equipment.  I don't know if your Bushmaster will feel like a Freightliner, a Kenworth, or something else, but the .308 cartridge is a good general purpose cartridge.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:56:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Mil. surplus for practice or plinking. Horady 155gr Amax for offensive/defensive. My opinion. -Justin
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top