Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2003 11:07:49 AM EDT
Just purchased a new flat top. The finish is dark.  Blackish/gray.  The outside seems to have recieved a good coating but the rear is light gray, silverish where the anodizing is very thin. The interior surfaces reflect the same thin anodizing.  I've owned 6 AR's, all Colts and have never noticed the lack of finish.  

Will my upper wear differently with the lack of interior finish?  Should I send it back?

I've heard of uppers having a dry film coating/lube.  Do all uppers have this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's a Bushmaster upper, the light gray is almost certainly a dry lube coating, which has been applied OVER the anodising. If so, woory not[:D]. It's to assist w/breakin.

If you hadn't specified it was a flat top, I would have asked if it was a milsurp M16 or A1 upper, since I've seen many w/ that coating also. Now the Colt experts on this board will tell you that Colt never put that coating on their pieces.  Who am I to argue with them[:D]? All I know is that I've got two mil surp Colt uppers with exactly that color and coating.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a flat top that was purchased from an advertiser on the board who says it is by the same company that supplies BM and RR.  It has a "keyhole" logo on the right side.

What is strange is that my new BM barrel will not slide into the opening.  It goes in about an 1/8 of an inch and gets stuck.  In a Colt upper, the BM barrel slides in perfect and snug.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top