Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2015 3:34:07 PM EDT
18 to 20 inch barrel not light but not bull threaded for suppressor .
Need a good upper and bcg.
Thinking midwest ind 15 in for end.
Already have spikes lower complete a2 stock factory trigger for now.
Going to swap out to rr varmint trigger asap.
Im looking to spend around 800 dollars or so.
Already have Nightforce scope for rifle .
Suggestions please.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I know weight is a big deal when hunting so check out the slr rifle works rails, it's called the solo ultra light or something it's sweet and well priced
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
18 to 20 inch barrel not light but not bull threaded for suppressor .
Need a good upper and bcg.
Thinking midwest ind 15 in for end.
Already have spikes lower complete a2 stock factory trigger for now.
Going to swap out to rr varmint trigger asap.
Im looking to spend around 800 dollars or so.
Already have Nightforce scope for rifle .
Suggestions please.
View Quote

If I had $800 to spend this is what I would go with:
White Oak Armament SPR barrel with bolt $330
Aero Precision M4E1 upper receiver $127 (on sale right now)
Aero Precision 15" rail of your choice $195-205
PSA bolt carrier (no bolt), I recently got one for $40
firing pin $8
firing pin retaining pin $2
cam pin $5.50
Total= $717.50

This still leaves you enough for a gas tube and adjustable gas block since your going suppressed.

Opinions will vary greatly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that will work just fine thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Would that make a better upper as far as accurate.
I just do know alot about ar 15 ive been reading alot.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
For me, it's a tie between WOA SPR 1/7 barrel And RRA's stainless match 20" barrel 1/8 (marked 222 on barrel).
The RRA is a little cheaper and shoots softer because the gas port on WOA 18" SPR is .108 and the RRA is a 20"
Both are tack drivers. The WOA is lighter, but I really like the RRA 20" more.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would that make a better upper as far as accurate.
I just do know alot about ar 15 ive been reading alot.
View Quote

As far as M4E1 upper receiver is concerned I doubt it would make any difference in accuracy by itself.  Personally I just like the design and its not much more expensive than a regular upper at that sale price.  Accuracy in the AR 15 platform comes from the barrel, a free floated rail, and the trigger.  What suppressor are you planning on using?    
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Grendel.  Superior bullet selection, much better retained energy, and superior ballistics - especially in the kind of windy conditions you can expect at 600 yards.

Lothar-Walther barrel/gas block/bolt combo around $500.

Add a VLTOR upper without forward-assist for under $200.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Im not real sure about the suppressor yet havent got that far but its not figured in the 800.00 budget thats seperate.
I probably need to think on that i guess it could knock out some barrels .
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]

I already had an olympic arms upper/lower so i went with one of their 20" stainless steel ultra match barrels, the barrel has a rifle length gas system which for me was a must have, had it threaded and put a lavange compensator on it, basically the lavange puts all the noise forward which i like. I then added a jp enterprises/ troy full float hand guard. Actually just really finished it this winter so this summer i will get some hand loads figured out and see how it does. I kno some dis oly but i have never seen a bad review on their ultra match ss barrels.

Hoping with the perfect day/weather and handloads to see 1/2" groups at a 100 yrds
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Im not real sure about the suppressor yet havent got that far but its not figured in the 800.00 budget thats seperate.
I probably need to think on that i guess it could knock out some barrels .
View Quote

I'm also building also building a 600 yard coyote/precision AR right now.  I ordered a Thunder Beast Arms 223CB suppressor a couple weeks ago, Thunder Beast is what a lot of the top dog precision guys use.  I'm saving my pennies now for a Compass Lake Engineering 18" barrel with their chamber on either a Kreiger or Bartlein blank.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/12/20/best-suppressors-and-muzzle-brakes/
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I would go with the ALG Defense Rail over the MI. Cheaper, better lock up system, ( I can personally vouch for that) easier to index, and only 1oz heavier)
Buy any cheap milspec upper, Anderson's sport upper is a good way to save some weight and cost if you don't need a port door or forward assist.
I like AIM's nitrided BCG for the price, but anything will do.

I'm not the go to guy for barrel advice, but since everything I've listed has been off AIM, and Faxon barrels have a good rep, how about this?
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Ar15performance.com has some 18" and 20" barrels in stock.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Grendel.  Superior bullet selection, much better retained energy, and superior ballistics - especially in the kind of windy conditions you can expect at 600 yards.

View Quote

I'd look at a grendel as well very versatile if you change game species as well . I have a. 264lbc barrel(BHW) and couldn't be happier. It's like shooting a 22 you can watch after the shot through the scope.   And.... wolf makes ammo for it!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would go with the ALG Defense Rail over the MI. Cheaper, better lock up system, ( I can personally vouch for that) easier to index, and only 1oz heavier)
Buy any cheap milspec upper, Anderson's sport upper is a good way to save some weight and cost if you don't need a port door or forward assist.

I'm not the go to guy for barrel advice, but since everything I've listed has been off AIM, and Faxon barrels have a good rep, how about this?
View Quote

Have to agree with this, I have several ALG rails and will not buy another MI, just too flimsy.

I have one of the AIM BCGs too, nice but I prefer the Ares Armor reduced friction nitride BCG, at about the same price.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ar15performance.com has some 18" and 20" barrels in stock.
View Quote

Yup, love my fluted 18" ARP.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

We try really hard to keep that reputation!

Let us know if you have any questions. I hope we can serve you!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'd look at a grendel as well very versatile if you change game species as well . I have a. 264lbc barrel(BHW) and couldn't be happier. It's like shooting a 22 you can watch after the shot through the scope.   And.... wolf makes ammo for it!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I really don't know why anyone would choose an AR-15 chambered in 5.56x45 over one chambered in 6.5 Grendel for any killing over 300 yards.  But hey, it's their money.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top