Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 7:56:37 PM EDT
It says in the manual that if the cam pin is not installed the rifle can still fire and will explode. I don’t understand how that can happen. I thought the cam pin allowed the bolt to rotate to lock and unlock from the locking lugs. If it wasn’t installed the bolt might not lock, you couldn’t fire because the firing pin wouldn’t be able to hit the primer. If it did lock and you fired, the bolt carrier would fly back with out the bolt hitting the buffer and bounce back onto the bolt. I don’t see were the AR Kaboom comes in. What am I not getting?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Cam pin holds bolt in carrier. Inserts in and rotates to accept FP. Without it you have a bunch of parts with nothing holding them together...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It says in the manual that if the cam pin is not installed the rifle can still fire and will explode. I don’t understand how that can happen. I thought the cam pin allowed the bolt to rotate to lock and unlock from the locking lugs. If it wasn’t installed the bolt might not lock, you couldn’t fire because the firing pin wouldn’t be able to hit the primer. If it did lock and you fired, the bolt carrier would fly back with out the bolt hitting the buffer and bounce back onto the bolt. I don’t see were the AR Kaboom comes in. What am I not getting?

What your missing is that without the cam, the bolt can move straight back into the carrier, and the rifle fired with the bolt unlocked if the bolt does not twist to lock (bolt and barrel lugs aligned on feed, recoil spring holding the bolt against the back of the loaded round). The safety feature on the BC is that in order for the firing pin to reach the primer, the bolt has to be pressed back.  The cam and cam slot is the device that lock the bolt closed, or prevents primer ignition if the bolt is not lock closed.  

With the bolt not locked closed, and the round fired, the bolt is going to be forced back by 50,000 plus PSI of barrel pressure.  The buffer/BC is going to slam the back of the receiver extension with enough force to either blow out the back of the tube, or shear the tube from the receiver.  Mean while, the upper receiver side walls will expand to either mushroom or blow the sidewalls.

Bottom line is the rifle is going to come apart, and if your lucky, you may walk away with only minor cuts and bruises; just don't bank on it.  Trust me, after having a firearm blow in your hands makes you take a new prospective on shooting.  After having a few blow on me, I no longer shoot without shooting glasses and a pair of shooting gloves on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, thats what I was looking for..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top