Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2005 2:31:48 PM EDT
I need to get the barrel off my gun but my YHM FF tube is stuck on there adn I can't figure out how to get it off..

In theory I should just have to break the ring on the backand unscrew the tube right? but I can't get that ring to break loose.

HELP!!! The inanimate object is kicking my ass
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
yes, your right.
If you don't have the special tool, put you upper in a vice and get a common screwdriver and put it on one of the notches of that ring, then pound it off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the YHM tool, just won't come off of there. I can't break the thing off for the life of me.

Now just to make sure I'm not having a brainfart I need to break the ring toward the action right? Like if you're looking from teh front clockwise?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, toward the receiver.

On jam nuts like this, some times it is hard to get a good leverage, I tend to wrap the barrel nut with a towl, and use large Channel locks to loosen it up.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Crap, I was kind of hoping I was doing something wrong. Oh well back to work.

Round one goes to the piece of metal..

Thanks Y'all
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Eh, you'll get it....have fun
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
What about applying a little heat to the locknut?
                     Jeff
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
still no luck. I've got a heatgun hooked to my desk... however the desk is 68 miles away and the building locked till monday.

it's driving me crazy so I put it back together and I'll mess with it later.

I want it off so I can put my Knights forend on that and put the YHM on my Bushy so I can give my dad a completed gun.

crapcrappitycrapcrap.

Round 2, to piece of metal. Luckily this is schedueled for 10rounds.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm thinking I'll have the same problem with mine when It comes time for taking it off. I thought maybe a strap wrench around the handguard and the forend wrench on the jam nut.  It drives be nuts to have to wait when I've got the itch to get something done.
                                       Jeff
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
hrm... strap wrench around the handguard.....

Excuse me for a moment.

eh  nevermind I don't feel like taking things apart again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I would just heat it up a bit with a heatgun, then tap it with a flat punch and hammer, to unscrew the locking ring.  Then unscrew the railed forend.  The YHM tool is great for assembly, but I can see it slipping off for disassembly.

What kind of locktite did you use when you assembled it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#11]
it was teh low stuff. I can't remember the color but it was the low rate one. Thing is i only used the loctite on the actual rail itself. I tried to keep it off the lockring.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Heat is your friend.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#13]
well i got tired of waiting so I tried something. The strap wrench didn't work so I had one last option. Lesson learned, a hairdryer doesn't do the same job as a heatgun.

I'll wiat till tomorrow and break out the heatgun. I hate waiting to do things when I 've got the parts.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top