Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/2/2003 6:34:53 AM EDT
I'm still picking out parts for the smaller/lighter/cheaper AR project. The goal is to build a quality, low-weight, near-subgun-sized AR with as little cash as is reasonable and no NFA paperwork.

It's stacking up like this:

Lower recvr: Mega (forged post-ban)
Upper recvr: Model One Lightweight CAR A4 w/ picatinny gas block (Yes, I'm willing to wait for it)
Lower parts kit:DPMS
Optics: OKO 4W
Bolt/Carrier: ?
Buttstock:
This is where the indecision is, because of weight and overall length.
My understanding is that the RRA Tac Entry stock is about 2.5 inches shorter than an A2 stock. I am one of those "6 foot 2 inch monkey armed people" that Troy refers to. I figure that by mounting the optics way forward, this won't be a problem.
The other option is to pick up a collapsible telestock and pick a setting to pin it in. If I did this, I might wind up pinning it in position 2 instead of position one.
Does anyone know how much the RRA Tac Entry stock weighs with tube and buffer? What about the average 4-position stock?

Which would you choose?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm 6'6" and all my post-ban rifles wear A1 stocks. Get one from Cavalry Arms. The RRA entry stock is just too short for use without body armor and the fixed tele-stock is just silly. When the ban expires next year you can put a real tele-stock on it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Putting a real tele-stock on it next year would be ideal... if it happens.
I did look into the A1 length stock, but it's $80.00 for the full setup. The Brownell's catalog lets me get a full setup of other configurations for $45.00 or so.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Also check with [url]http://cmmginc.com/[/url] they have some very nice used Colt A1 stocks. I picked up three of them and they are very nice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Under recommendation of MANY people, I ordered an A1 (C1) CavArms stock from Coal Creek. My A2 is just too long for me, but i guess it depends on how long your arms and neck are.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up on the A1's at CMMG. Does the A1 use the same tube/buffer/spring setup as the A2?
Any got a clue on weights for the various buttstock setups?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The tube/buffer/spring are the same A1 to A2 only with the A2 you add a plastic spacer. Don't know weights but the Cav Arms A1 stock is lighter than a Colt. The Colt's have some sort of insulation in them that is rather heavy.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top