Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2015 11:46:53 PM EDT
I have a DPMS LR308  and I wanted to put a free float 4 rail handguard on it. I ordered a DPMS handguard. I assume my  rifle  is carbine length,  it has 16 " barrel. The package said the  handguard was 7" which I thought was what carbine length is. I laid the          handguard down beside the stock handguard and the free float handguard is 2" longer. So I take the stock handguards off and lay them by the rifle. This free float handguard would leave 2" of the gas tube exposed. I have never seen one with the gas tube exposed like this would be. The free float handguards have to be wrong. Can anybody tell  me where I went wrong. The free float handguards were from DPMS and I was told by someone at DPMS that these were the right ones. Is the standard length for a LR308 handguard 9". Does anyone make a 9" free float 4 rail  handguard for a DPMS LR308.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Pictures would help.

ETA: Are you sure it isn't a midlength?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a mid length with a 16" barrel?

If you could post pictures it would help us help you much more efficiently.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a photo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I went back to the Bushmaster website and looked up the specs.  My rifle is listed as a 16" MOE which is 34" long. Bushmaster also has what they call a 16" mid length MOE which is 32.5 " long. Mine is a 308 where the other is a 223. That must be where the problem is. mine must be considered s mid-length. Next question what company sells free float 4 rail handguards for a mid-length Bushmaster or DPMS 308
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#5]
.308 AR's fall under the AR10 banner - not AR15. There are almost no AR10 milspec guns, and the makers play with the specs enough that there are interchangeability issues. They tend to fall into groups and are a breed apart from the typical one size fits most AR15.

Keep in mind what brand you bought in a .308 as it determines what parts will fit. From there order with the specification stating .308 will work. There are far fewer .308 suppliers out there compared to 5.56 and that jump means many fewer parts interchange. It's a pretty limited supplier's market - much the same as any single traditional model. Rem 700 parts don't fit Win 70's kind of thing, regardless of the similar look. It's a niche build in .AR10s because of the limitations.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Id just go with rifle length and call it a day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is a photo.<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/user/steveh0203/media/IMG_0516_zpsakolm8nk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3/steveh0203/IMG_0516_zpsakolm8nk.jpg</a>
View Quote

You have a mid length.

I'd look at Midwest Industries. Great rails at a great price.

Also, your bipod and your scope mount is on backwards.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top