Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/13/2004 8:28:59 AM EDT
OK - I know CA has some funky laws. I just want to know what you can and cant have. Can you have and AR? What are the restrictions etc?

If you have and AR in Cali - post it to see!

I am kinda in an arguement in another area of the web, and I think I am right - but who knows - I have been wrong before.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
AWB is alive and well in CA.  In fact, it's worse.  You can not buy, trade, rent, sell, or give away any AW in Ca.  All existing AW had to have been registered with DOJ as of 2001.  You cannot bring in out of state AW to CA.  Same goes for magazines with more than 10 rounds, except you can't register them w/o serial numbers, so I don't know how they plan to enforce that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The 1989 California AWB started out by banning firearms by name and model number. Anyone owning one of the listed firearms had to have it registered by 3/31/92. The second version of the ban listed features, ie; semi auto, flash suppressor, abilty to take detachable magazines, pistol grips, etc..... these firearms had to be registered by 12/31/00.

So basically if you had them before a certain date and then registered them, you can keep them or sell them out of state or move them out of state. You cannot buy new listed firearms or bring into the state any firearms that fall under the list.

There are a few exceptions to this. One is if you are moving into the state you can bring one in, but only AFTER a background check has been done on you and you pass (You have to turn the gun over to an FFL while this is being done). The other exemption is for LEO's and they must have a departmental letterhead approving the purchase for duty use.

Included in the AWB are centerfire rifle & pistol magazines with a capacity of more than ten rounds. If you possessed them prior to the ban you could keep them, but no more are allowed into the state (Again the exeption here is fro LEO's). As some have stated before, magazines are not serial numbered, so how would anyone know, and that is true. The only ones you could not possess are the LEO marked ones or ones with a manufactured date on them.

Take a look at these links for further info:

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm

My guns are pictured here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=187750&page=37

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top