Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2005 11:02:17 AM EDT
Hi guys,

Here's my dilemia...I got a DPMS chrome bolt carrier and standard bolt in a trade a few months back. I just got around to finishing the rifle and when i tested chambering a round or two, the bolt will not eject the round.

After close inspect of some other bolts that I own, the width of bolt face is not the same. I'm attaching two pics to this postl that shows the inside width measurements of a Colt Bolt and the bolt in question. The Colt one which is from another rifle of mine measures 0.39" (10mm) and the unknown one measures 0.43" (11mm).

I originally thought that there was something wrong with the bolt extractor and I replaced it and its corresponding spring. That did not solve the problem. In fact if you look at the two bolt extractors you can tell there's a difference in them.

Any help in identifying the caliber that this bolt is would be greatly appreciated. I plan on trading it off on the Equipment Exchange as soon as I determine its size.

Thanks.

Colt Bolt

Unknown Bolt
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:09:47 PM EDT
The 7.62x39 bolt I have looks like it is around .447
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:29:52 AM EDT
Might be 6.8SPC? Published case head dimension for that cartridge is .422, not far from that ID your measured. Does that bolt only have two gas rings?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:44:30 PM EDT
No it has the standard three rings. It also fits in my other bolt carriers with no problem.
Top Top